Re: [iccrg] Review of draft-ietf-iccrg-tcpval-01/ Issues on traffic traces

Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch> Mon, 05 January 2015 14:05 UTC

From: Mirja Kühlewind <mirja.kuehlewind@tik.ee.ethz.ch>
Date: Mon, 05 Jan 2015 15:04:58 +0100
To: Lachlan Andrew <lachlan.andrew@gmail.com>
Cc: David Ros <dros@simula.no>, Jay Aikat <aikat@cs.unc.edu>, iccrg@irtf.org, mweigle@cs.odu.edu, David hayes <davihay@ifi.uio.no>
Subject: Re: [iccrg] Review of draft-ietf-iccrg-tcpval-01/ Issues on traffic traces

Hi Lachlan,

first of all happy new year! Further see below...

> Am 16.12.2014 um 23:22 schrieb Lachlan Andrew <lachlan.andrew@gmail.com>:
>
> Greetings Mirja,
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
> First of all, sorry that I dropped the ball 5 years ago, and a big
> "thank you" to the Davids for trying to clean this up.  Sally and I
> should both probably be dropped from the author list.
>
> As you note several times, the goal of this work is to push out a
> "best practice" RFC.  You can think of it as a stop-gap until the next
> "best practice in the same area" is put out.  As such, I think that
> most of the issues with "it would be nicer if" can be put off until
> the next document, once we get over the issues of "it can't be done
> outside ns“.

I understood this. My question is how much best practice is currently documented (if people are not using the described setup).

> As you say, the goal was definitely *not* to produce tests tied to
> ns2.  The reason that  tmix  was chosen was precisely that it had
> Linux and FreeBSD implementations as well.  I'm sorry to hear that
> there are problems getting tmix working well.  I'm Cc'ing Michele
> Wiegle and Jay Aikat, who used to maintain tmix, to see if they can
> provide an update on any of this.

I’m not using ns2/3 nor tmix. We have an own simulation tool integrating VMs in the simulation network where we have a small user space helper program that runs in the VM, opens a connection and receives user data. In the simulation we read the vector traffic trace and push the (dummy) data to the user space helper program at the right point of time (similar as tmix would do). Also the problem is not tmix, I guess, is the characteristics of this one (out-dated) traffic trace.

> I'd be happy to revisit the choice of traffic generator, and/or the
> choice of traces, but I think it is important that
> (a) the traffic be standardized across tests

Yes!

> (b) the traffic contain a "realistic" mix of flow sizes.

Yes, the question how realistic? I’m arguing that an out-dated traffic trace is not more realistic than artificial traffic that is generated based on distribution taken form traces.

> In the initial discussions, I was arguing mainly for the importance of
> being repeatable / standardized / informative, and Sally Floyd was
> arguing for the importance of being realistic.  I would personally
> have no objection to having fewer flows that don't leave slow start,
> but Sally has a lot of experience and so we shouldn't ignore her
> advice lightly.  I'd also be very happy to have traffic flows that are
> "simpler" (especially more uniform across long time scales).  I was
> originally arguing for random traces, with a specified random number
> generator and seed, so that everyone uses the same traffic.  (With
> heavy-tailed traffic, random fluctuations can make a big difference.
> That makes the use of identical traffic important for repeatability.)

I know where this is coming from and I definitely support Sally input based on her experience.
To produce meaningful evaluation results, it is necessary to not only evaluate basic scenarios but also realistic traffic scenarios with a wide range of traffic characteristics. I’m not sure though if this should be based on one traffic trace only or if it e.g. might more useful to isolate certain characteristics/effect.

In fact, I’m just arguing that for the current goal of producing/finalizing a useful document that allows people to easily generate some initial comparable results, I believe it might be more useful to define some simple scenarios that are easy to implement and analyze.

> You correctly say that the traces are outdated.  However, they have
> some characteristics that I expect are still present in "real" traffic
> that would be missing from most synthetic traffic:
> - A wide distribution of flow sizes, including many small flows
> - Non-stationarity (this isn't just due to how the trace was collected)

Both of the effect are problematic for simulation and I’m not sure if these effect are really needed (as least for an initial simulation). Regarding flow sizes, I would propose to explicitly include a scenarios with a large number of small flows running against one (or more) ling-running flows.

> - Changes in the ratio of forward to backward traffic over time.

If you just use certain traffic distributions (instead of the trace itself) you will also have (short-term) phases with more or less traffic.

The vector format used by tmix in addition introduces some relation between a request and a response. However, not sure if this is really needed for TCP evaluation and moreover it is still not fully realistic because no user interactions are considered. The important things it to model the effect of cross traffic on the ACKs (of the flow(s) under tests). This could also be introduced artificially by ACK loss and/or additional delays.

> As such, the issue is not whether we should use these vs more "up to
> date" traces, but whether we should use traffic that reflects the
> internet or synthetic/sanitized traffic that gives us a better
> understanding of how TCP behaves in unrealistic conditions.  As a
> theorist, I am entirely happy with the latter, provided the IETF
> community is.

As I guess I stated my opinion already. However for the record, I would prefer the latter because this might be more suitable for an initial evaluation which is the goal of this doc (as the doc also states that these evaluations are not sufficient for an exhausting evaluation of a new proposal and only use for the propose of comparison).

> Having said that, if it means repeating all the work that the Davids
> did, then it isn't clear that it is worthwhile. Personally, I'd be
> happy with either Poisson flow arrivals (or exponential inter-flow
> times -- see my response to your comment 2.1)
>
> You are right that the IETF's concern at the time these tests were
> written was "is it safe to deploy", but that wasn't the motivation for
> this test suite.  My motivation was to avoid the arguments of: "your
> algorithm works badly on my testbed";  "Oh yeah, well yours works
> badly on mine".  Sally's was to be able to tell people "don't wast our
> time if you're just doing tests on a single unidirectional on a single
> bottleneck", before going on to check corner cases, which will be
> different for different proposals.

> 2.1:  the difference between specifying interarrival times and
> inter-flow times is big, regardless of whether the timescale is such
> that the flow re-enters slow start.  As you point out, in the first
> case, it is possible for the link to be "overloaded" in the sense that
> the number of flows builds up indefinitely, whereas in the second, the
> link is always "stable" in a queueing-theoretic sense.  Specifying
> inter-flow times is not much harder to implement, and captures an
> important qualitative features of user behaviour: less traffic arrives
> if the network is congested.  Since there are arguments both ways, I'd
> suggest that we leave the current version.

Okay. In our simulation we have a traffic generator that generators data chunks (with a certain size distribution and IAT distribution) and we have two option how to send these data over the simulated network:
1) have one TCP connection for each generator, or
2) start a new TCP connection for each chunk

Case 2 can still lead to this overloaded case. Also not sure how useful it is to investigate a case where there is a congestion collapse that could not even been resolved by congestion control. Okay there is still the TCP backoff mechanism… maybe someone wants to evaluate something related to this mechanism. Otherwise the only useful action in such a situation (in the real world) would be provide more capacity or (as a short-term solution) terminate connection manually. I’d say in a simulation this translates into a wrong choice of parameters.

> 3.1: I entirely agree with the sentiment that we shouldn't consider
> overload in the sense of "A>C".  Again, it was Sally pushing for that,
> and the biggest delay in getting this document out was my attempt to
> prove that we can get high loss rates (as sometimes observed in the
> internet) without resorting to A>C.  In trying that, I was defeated by
> the non-stationarity of the traces, which is why the Davids eventually
> chose to go ahead with Sally's method.

High loss rates can (easily) be reached when using artificial traffic with e.g. one long lived flow and a large number of short flows… of course depending on what you call ‚high low rates‘.

> Overall, what I think would be an ideal outcome is:
> - to ensure  tmix  works reliably on platforms other than ns
> - to have guidelines on what tweaks are needed to allow Linux to have
> sufficiently many simultaneous flows
> - to maintain a completely repeatable traffic source
> - to get this out as "version 1" of a test suite, and move on to a better one.

Still sounds like a lot of work to me…

Mirja