Re: [iccrg] New Version Notification for draft-welzl-irtf-iccrg-tcp-in-udp-00.txt

Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no> Fri, 25 March 2016 08:20 UTC

From: Michael Welzl <michawe@ifi.uio.no>
Date: Fri, 25 Mar 2016 09:19:59 +0100
To: iccrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [iccrg] New Version Notification for draft-welzl-irtf-iccrg-tcp-in-udp-00.txt

Hi all,

My apologies, I made a mistake: first I said that this should be discussed here in ICCRG, then I answered a comment on a different list and we ended up having a congestion control related discussion there.
Just what I wanted to avoid - I’d really like to collect the discussion of this draft in this list.

This email is me trying to undo this mistake and set the context for continuing the discussion here. The dialogue happened on the IAB stackevo-discuss list, and you can find it in its archives here:
https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/search/?email_list=stackevo-discuss

To summarize:
- Tom Herbert suggested that, instead of UDP encapsulation, one could just use the IPv6 flow label. That seems very reasonable to me and unless someone debates that, we’ll incorporate this in the next version of the draft (for the v6 case).
- Joe Touch raised issues about the idea of such tunneling, and pointed to an INTAREA tunnels draft for an explanation of these issues. I got surprised by this  but I’m not an expert on tunneling, so I’ll read this and try to understand the problem there.
- Joe Touch had comments related to congestion control; his point of view is that the UDP header is unnecessary because you could couple congestion controls even when packets traverse different paths. Here I disagree. My next email will continue this discussion with him, here on ICCRG.

Cheers,
Michael