[icnrg] Comments on draft-azgin-icnrg-ni-01

"David Oran" <daveoran@orandom.net> Thu, 01 June 2017 14:20 UTC

From: David Oran <daveoran@orandom.net>
To: icnrg <icnrg@irtf.org>
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2017 10:19:44 -0400
Subject: [icnrg] Comments on draft-azgin-icnrg-ni-01

I spent some time going over “Enabling Network Identifier (NI) in
Information Centric Networks to Support Optimized Forwarding” (
draft-azgin-icnrg-ni-01).

Here are my comments, with <Chair Hat Off>

### General Comments

This is a potentially useful position paper. It takes the position that
ICN would benefit from having a separate routing-friendly identifier in
order to scale global routing, and that the application-assigned names
cannot be directly used in many cases to achieve feasible global routing
capability. This is an attractive idea in many ways, but is not
universally subscribed to in the ICN community. In order to have the
separate “Network Identifier” (NI) from the “Application
Identifier” (AI), some way to carry the NI in packets, derive it from
the AI, and forward based on it are needed. The main material in the
document addresses these questions.

This reviewer is not among the set of people convinced by the arguments
in this paper; nonetheless it has a lot of good material, and  a good
set of references. I would advocate that after more work to address
these (and hopefully other ICNRG participant) comments, it would be a
useful addition to the literature and hence publishable as an individual
contribution RFC. I am less enthusiastic about adopting this as an ICNRG
draft, unless one or more people with differing/opposing views add
material to the document to make it a more balanced discussion of the
the ways naming interact with ICN routing/forwarding scalability and
security. In particular, security gets very little attention in this
position paper. Security considerations around AI/NI mapping, trust in
routing directives, and tradeoffs in control by consumers/publishers
versus network operators needs to get significantly more attention.

## Detailed comments
####Abstract
The abstract already argues that a network-based name resolution service
is mandatory. This is not entirely obvious and it is certainly not
obvious that the NRS needs to be “network based”. It could be
designed as an ICN application, and not even be “global” in the
sense that  single NRS serves all of the global namespace.

####1 Introduction
- As I’ve commented elsewhere, the term “location” is introduced
informally, and this makes for confusion right off the bat. In this
paragraph, you don’t need to wade into the “location swamp” as in
this context you could just as easily say “contents, services, and
services become disentangled from particular hosts…”

####2 Application Identifier (AI) vs. Network Identifier (NI)
in the first paragraph you say “a flat identifier offers a fixed
predictable overhead and variable security properties within a given
context” I get the first property, but I have no idea what “variable
security properties within a given context” means.

Some real difficulties start in the second paragraph. Among my
doubts/questions/complaints are:

- you say the NI provides a binding for the AI to the network *at a
location*. Why only one? Why not a set?
- you say the NI is “managed by the network provider to  name the
routers, point of attachments, servers and end devices” This is
orthogonal to the point of the paper, since all of those things are
owned by the network operator and he can name them any way he wants. In
fact, he can assign AI’s to these things since he knows how to route
to them on his own infrastructure and not need an NI at all.
- you say “NI could assume names of the underlay network as well, such
as IP or Ethernet addresses” I don’t see how this helps/works since
in those cases you need an underlay running those protocols anyway, so
you already have a map/encap happening without inserting an NI at the
ICN layer.
- while you say the growth of NI can be much smaller than the growth of
AI, your argument for why doesn’t hold water. If AI grows via more
objects under routable prefixes that grow no faster than the growth rate
of infrastructure, the scaling for routing will be similar. There’s a
true point here about high-level name authorities growing faster than
infrastructure providers, but you don’t make it.
- you say “it is desirable to route requests on NIs, with the mapping
between AI and NI is achieved in a scalable manner using a   network
based name resolution system.” That is one possibility; however there
are others, such as the CCN approach of alternative equivalent names
with Manifests.

Further on, starting on page 4,

- you say “names or identifiers …typically managed by  applications,
thereby of persistent nature” - what does persistence have to do with
this? some names, particularly in the context of real time multimedia,
may have little persistence - a few RTTs or so.
- You say “Overloading an identifier as a locator can lead to unstable
routing control”. First I don’t think using an identifier for
routing and matching against named content constitutes
“overloading”. Second, what do you mean by “unstable routing
control”? Just because something has a high update rate (you mention
mobility), or multiple feasible destinations (you mention replication)
does not necessarily mean there’s any instability. Further, the
problem of high state mutation rates is inherent to mobility (in the
absence of cheap broadcast), and whether it is routing state changing
fast, or AI/NI binding state changing fast at first order makes no
difference. In fact it’s quite likely that routing state update could
be considerably *more* efficient than binding state update.
- Why do you say that “name aggregation does not help with scaling the
routing and forwarding as originally imagined” I doubt anybody with
even minimal technical clue imagined that name aggregation would lead to
routing scaling in ICN.

The next paragraph starts by presuming that NIs and routing are
inherently needed together, which you have argued but hardly proved.
Might be better to s/Routing scalability is typically achieved by
designing NIs with aggregate-able property/Routing scalability is
typically  achieved by designing routing state with aggregate-able
property/. The fact that provider-independent addressing in IP is not
common has many causes, one of which is non-aggregatability, but there
are others, such as the economics of BGP route advertisements (the
creator of state is not the one who pays the cost of distributing the
state), and the ownership properties of IP address blocks.

- I also don’t follow the argument that avoiding NIs somehow leads to
“relinquishing the persistency of names”.
- Nor the argument that it relinquishes the security bindings such as
trust - trust is established by how you bind keys to names, not how
persistent the names are.

####3 NI based ICN forwarding

In addition to the cases you cite at the beginning of this section, an
important additional use case is infrastructure-less configurations that
do not need to scale globally.

In the next paragraph, I was trying to follow your argument of where NI
becomes important. Why is there necessarily a correspondence between
domain boundaries and whether routing state exists in both domains
sufficient to route on AIs? I also don’t follow why necessarily domain
entry triggers the usage of an NI. I could argue just the opposite- when
you enter a domain with relatively complete routing state, the domain
can route directly rather than having to do any kind of NI mapping.

A bit further along, you make a pretty strong claim: “However, as
significant amount of user traffic fetches resources outside the
requesting host's local domain, it becomes crucial to provide
architectural support for NI in an ICN protocol.” What is crucial is
to be able to route globally, however you do it. Architecturally
mandated NIs are one way. Tunneling is another, Source routing is
another. Multiple published names with Manifests is another. There are
many ways to skin this cat. You do say up front that NI is optional, not
mandatory, but is this optional to implement? Optional to use? Is there
one mandated format? Globally agreed semantics for the trust assertions
in the bindings between AIs and NIs?

####3.1 Label based ICN forwarding

- why are security bindings considered optional? forwarding labels would
seem to be a devil’s playground, especially if they survive domain
crossing. If they don’t we wind up with a feature that is much less
useful than it might be as we’ve seen with DSCPs.
- you say forwarding labels can guide interests toward a cache (in
addition to producers or repositories). This is an interesting
capability, similar to what can be done with cache steering for cache
clusters. This probably deserves a separate discussion, rather than
being buried here.
- I think the question of whether label-based forwarding treats labels
as always having precedence is kind of an independent property from the
other properties of forwarding labels. What is the thinking behind the
static precedence requirement? I don’t see how this helps compared to
leaving it as a local forwarder decision, other than perhaps removing
some cases where there could otherwise be loops. Similarly, I don’t
get why it can’t be treated as a hint to be used when there’s no
route in the FIB for the AI, as you talk about for link objects.
- Why only one forwarding label per interest packet? I can envision a
system where there are multiple, at different granularities, and the
forwarder picks the “best” one (e.g. the one for which it has the
best LPM FIB entry).
- You talk a bit about forwarding labels allowing non-ICN names and
instead using transport addresses. This seems quite problematic
especially when combined with tunneling. You could put in a forwarding
label that could result in an upstream forwarder blindly tunneling an
ICN packet to anywhere.

The next paragraph, starting “Forwarding label consists”, needs a
bunch of language fix up. Also:

- you say “if the namespace supports the use of an NI to reach a
specific destination” This is the first mention of NI usage being
bound to a namespace. If you actually meant to say this, it could be an
interesting idea, but raises a ton of questions, like how that binding
is made and checked. Why would you do this? Are there certain namespaces
that are known a priori to need NI in order to have its objects be
reachable? (The next paragraph further mentions this possibility by
starting “Forwarding label support for a namespace can be offered at a
global…”)
- a bit later you say NIs can be mutated “depending on the feedback
from the name resolution system” ignoring for the moment whether an
NRS provides feedback or only answers questions, there might easily be
other reasons to swap NIs like having local IGP information - segment
routing in IP can do this.

Parts of the paragraph starting “Forwarding label support” are
pretty hard to follow and tend to wander into separate issues, like QoS.
  I also wonder whether you want to characterize mobility as a
“service”, since it’s so baked into ICN as a native feature.

####3.2 Link-object based ICN forwarding

- Why do you think using link objects constitutes “Map-and-encap”?

####3.3 Link Object vs. Forwarding Label

This section reads more like an argument in favor of forwarding labels
that a list of differences. It needs a more balanced presentation. For
example, the first paragraph attributes certain “network based
management” advantages to forwarding labels, which, by implication,
you think link objects do not have. However, they might, especially if
counter-signed by the network operator and ignored or generating a NAK
otherwise.

- As an example of things that might argue for link objects, here’s
some possible text: “Conversely, the link object constrains a network
operator from overriding a consumer’s intent, for example where the
consumer knows that a certain triangle routing path will outperform
native service provider paths”.

- Another example is where you say that the optionality of the the
security binding for the forwarding label is a feature since it
contextualizes the trust relationship. A counter view is perhaps “The
former puts all trust assessment in the producers and consumers; the
latter relieves users of this burden but opens the system to route
hijacking similar to what we see with BGP”.

- For the paragraph about forwarding efficiency, you make the claim that
NI-based forwarding labels are more flexible operation in routing. This
is arguable, as the router could always put the equivalent FIB entry in
based on the same mapping data that created the NI binding. Putting
forwarding state in the packet sometimes wins; putting it in the FIB
sometimes wins. If putting it in the packet wins sufficiently
frequently, the forwarding-labels may be desirable, however there are
other ways to skin the cat using path switching or tunneling.

- The next paragraph says “Forwarding label, on the other hand, can be
enabled as part of a service, which limits the use of forwarding label
to the supported namespaces, while at the same time requiring its use
whenever/wherever supported.” I think this needs a lot more
explanation, with example “services” and how forwarding label
enables these when a link object or other techniques do not. (Aside: In
doing so take care to not declare as “services” obnoxious
middleboxes than screw up consumers’ intents as has occurred too much
in the IP world. This is a particularly sensitive topic, as I’ve heard
occasional arguments in favor of ICN from service providers that it
restores their ability to re-insert themselves in application
interactions as IP becomes more transparent through e2e encryption ).

- You say “Even though this selection is shared between consecutive
hosts, it is not enforced, thereby potentially leading to non-optimal
forwarding paths.” What does “shared between consecutive hosts”
mean? Do you mean hosts or routers? A bit further you say “Hence,
forwarding label presents the network with the ability to consistently
forward packets over optimal paths towards a content source.” I’m
not sure this is true, and perhaps only true if the IGP is itself
optimal.

####4 Name Resolution System Considerations

I didn’t spend much time on this section, as it might be more easily
cut down or eliminated once there is a mature NRS document to point to.
The material is very general, and doesn’t really get into what kind of
NRS is a good match for which style of forwarding. Most limiting,
however, is the lack of any discussion of security. Not so much of the
NRS itself (which belongs in an NRS specification) but of the tricky
issues of who attests to what in the creation, maintenance, and usage of
the AI/NI bindings (I think link objects already cover this aspect quite
extensively). That is needed in this document, independent of the nature
of any NRS that stores and regurgitates them.

David R. Oran
Network Systems Research & Design
4 Shady Hill Square
Cambridge, MA 02138 USA