Re: [icnrg] updated cisco packet format draft

<Marc.Mosko@parc.com> Thu, 08 January 2015 17:01 UTC

From: Marc.Mosko@parc.com
To: mjs@cisco.com
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2015 17:00:40 +0000
x-originating-ip: [13.2.116.104]
Cc: icnrg@irtf.org
Subject: Re: [icnrg] updated cisco packet format draft

PARC will be releasing the next version of our working documents shortly, before the icnrg meeting.  We have for a while supported an Interest carrying a Payload field that can carry extended information that is not part of the name.  Intermediate nodes do not process the payload.

If the payload can make a difference to a dynamic content publisher, then the requester must put a marker of the payload in the name — i.e. put the hash of the payload a a name component, or use a nonce.  This will allow proper multiplexing of different payloads in the name.

It is not mandatory that applications do this — some data might rightly belong in the name.

Using this method relieves the forwarding plane from having to process and store in the PIT large names that make no difference in routing.  It also means that the potentially large payload does not need to be echoed back to the client in the response name.

The previous PARC spec is at http://www.ccnx.org/pubs/ccnx-mosko-tlvmessages-02.html.  It will be updated in the next day or so and we will send an email to the list.

Marc