Re: [icnrg] First draft on ICN baseline scenarios

Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@cl.cam.ac.uk> Thu, 01 November 2012 11:51 UTC

From: Dirk Trossen <dirk.trossen@cl.cam.ac.uk>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2012 11:51:18 +0000
To: Konstantinos Pentikousis <k.pentikousis@huawei.com>
Sender: Dirk Trossen <dt355@hermes.cam.ac.uk>
Cc: Börje Ohlman <borje.ohlman@ericsson.com>, icnrg <icnrg@irtf.org>
Subject: Re: [icnrg] First draft on ICN baseline scenarios

Hi Konstantinos,

thanks for the document. It is a good start into a difficult area.

You describe it as baseline scenario for a possible (experimental) comparison. At this stage, it seems however more like a survey of what the different efforts have their work being placed into (which could be a start, I admit). An area such as "content dissemination", however, then ends up to be so broad that it hardly provides a basis for comparison as such. Hence, the document will ultimately need to converge more in a description of scenarios that can indeed by replicated in setups for experiments etc.

As a possible contribution or inspiration (if you will), let me point to two pieces that might be useful:
1) at the start of the PSIRP project (the predecessor to the currently ongoing PURSUIT project in the EU's FP7) in 2008, we asked project members to write down "stories" of the beautiful new ICN world that we/they envisioned, the stories largely centred around the idea of "information at your fingertips". The outcome can be found at http://www.psirp.org/files/Deliverables/PSIRP-TR08-0001_Vision.pdf (skip over the vision part and jump straight to the stories)

2) for the content dissemination aspect, we looked into something in this area that is more than "making CDNs better" (personally, I have doubts that this proposition would fly in any case, given the high engineering efforts to make CDNs better, faster, grander, ...). We identified the area of highly personalised and interactive media. Here, the delivered 'content' is highly similar in underlying media assets but still highly personalised (e.g., towards regions, markets, location, specific end users,...). Working with content producers (our project partner CTVC from London is one such producers), we identified that such high degree of personalisation poses a significant burden on production and delivery of the content. While standards such as MPEG DASH attempt to provide solutions for this at the application level, we see the fairly 'low level' realisation in an ICN as a potential differentiator in this particular "scenario space", e.g., through the usage of caching, the exposure of metadata at a low level of the infrastructure that allows for optimising the delivery, ... For more information, we have created small videos with an intro into the current work on this - hope this might help. You can find the videos at http://www.fp7-pursuit.eu/PursuitWeb/?p=837

Best,

Dirk