Re: [Id-event] Subject Identifiers - Working Group Last Call

Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr> Thu, 27 May 2021 17:43 UTC

To: Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>, Dick Hardt <dick.hardt@gmail.com>, SecEvent <id-event@ietf.org>
Cc: Roman Danyliw <rdd@cert.org>, Marius Scurtescu <marius.scurtescu@coinbase.com>, "Richard Backman, Annabelle" <richanna=40amazon.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
From: Denis <denis.ietf@free.fr>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2021 19:42:59 +0200
Subject: Re: [Id-event] Subject Identifiers - Working Group Last Call

I believe that this document should be enhanced on three aspects that
are currently not addressed.

Section 3.1 (Identifier Formats versus Principal Types) states:

    Identifier Formats define how to encode identifying information for
    a subject.They do not define the type or nature of the subject itself.

  While this statement is correct, it should be remembered that the
title of this document is:

" Subject Identifiers for Security Event Tokens"

and is not:

" Subject Identifiers *Formats* for Security Event Tokens".

Therefore it would be possible to add /*optional
*/attributes/characteristics to Subject Identifiers which relate to two
different topics:

-the granularity of the identification and
-the correlation operations that may be either performed or prevented
using some values contained in a specific format.
*
*
*1. Granularity of the identification*

A subject identifier may be able to identify an entity either
individually or as a member of a group.

In order to be able to make the difference, an */optional /class*
attribute should be defined which may take one out of two values:

  * "*ind*" to indicate an individual identifier or
  * "*grp" *to indicate a group identifier.

Examples:

  "format": "email",
"class": "ind"
"email": "tom.jones@example.com"

"format": "email",
"class": "grp"
"email": "marketing@example.com"
*
*
*2. Correlation operations that may be either performed or prevented*

Currently, the Privacy Considerations section only addresses one
correlation case where a JWT would have both "sub" and "sub_id" JWT claims.
While it is appropriate to mention such a case, other correlation cases
exist.

These cases become visible if the "sub_id" contains an */optional/*
subject identifier *type*attribute.

A subject identifier *type*attribute would be able to support four
values: *guid*, *shared*, *unique* and *tmp*.

-a *guid* type indicates a globally unique identifier. Such subject
identifier type allows service providers or other servers to link their
accounts
         as soon as they use the same guid.

-an issuer and subject pair (i.e. a subject identifier with the
*iss_sub* format) where the subject identifier format would include :

        -a shared identifier type (*shared*) to indicate a subject
        identifier shared by several service providers
                 (such subject identifier type allows service providers
        to link their accounts), or

        -a unique identifier type (*unique)*to indicate a subject
        identifier specific to a single service provider
                 (such subject identifier type does not allow service
        providers or servers to link their accounts), or

-a temporary identifier type (*tmp*) to indicate a subject identifier
issued only once by the issuer(sometimes called session identifier).
         (such subject identifier type does not allow any service
provider to perform any linkage between accounts, even on a single
service provider). .

_Examples_:

"format": "opaque",
"type": "guid"
"id": "11112222333344445555"

"format": "iss_sub",
"type": "shared"
"iss": "http://issuer.example.com/",
"sub": "145234573"

"format": "iss_sub",
"type": "unique"
"iss": "http://issuer.example.com/",
"sub": "145234573"

"format": "opaque",
"type": "tmp"
"id": "11112222333344445555"

*3. Hierarchical group memberships, functional group memberships and
roles.*

Examples of group identifiers are : hierarchical group memberships,
functional group memberships and roles.
It would be useful to define one format for these common groups: one or
more character strings separated by the character slash.
for both hierarchical (*hgrp*) and functional group memberships (*fgrp*)
and roles (*role*):
_
_
_Examples_:

"format": "hgrp",
"hgrp": "marketing/customer relationships"

"format": "fgrp",
"fgrp": " university/science/teacher"

"format": "role",
"role": "auditor"

*4. Two nits:*

    (...) ways. (e.g., a host might be identified by an IP or MAC address,
    while a user might be identified by an email address) Furthermore,

The punctuation point should be moved after the closing parenthesis.

    7.1.Confidentiality and Integrity

    This specification does not define any mechanism for ensuring the
    confidentiality or integrityi of a Subject Identifier.

Change "integrityi" into "integrity".

Denis