[Id-event] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll-11: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org> Mon, 22 June 2020 16:51 UTC

From: Robert Wilton via Datatracker <noreply@ietf.org>
To: The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>
Cc: draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll@ietf.org, secevent-chairs@ietf.org, id-event@ietf.org, Yaron Sheffer <yaronf.ietf@gmail.com>, yaronf.ietf@gmail.com
Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2020 09:51:01 -0700
Subject: [Id-event] Robert Wilton's No Objection on draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll-11: (with COMMENT)

Robert Wilton has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll-11: No Objection

introductory paragraph, however.)

https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-secevent-http-poll/

COMMENT:

Hi,

I found that document easy to read/understand (despite not really knowing what
"SET"s are).  However, I did have a query about the algorithm:

It seems to me that if a client fails to acknowledge a SET (e.g. due to a bug,
or perhaps a message is lost) then it has to wait until the server times out
waiting for the SET acknowledgement before the server hopefully resends it.

However, I would normally expect that a client should automatically acknowledge
all SETs in the order that it receives them because it doesn't seem to have a
good reason not to do so.  Hence, I was wondering whether it would be useful to
have an option to allow clients to request that the next "maxEvents" SETs also
include any unacknowledged SETs?  This would allow clients to potentially
recover lost SETs more quickly and more robustly?  I.e. for the case where a
client expects to acknowledge all existing received SETs before/when requesting
more.

Regards,
Rob