Re: New Version - at last

"Mark D. Baushke" <mdb@cisco.com> Fri, 31 July 1992 18:52 UTC

To: Mike StJohns <stjohns@umd5.umd.edu>
Cc: ident@NRI.Reston.VA.US
Subject: Re: New Version - at last
Date: Fri, 31 Jul 1992 11:52:37 -0700
From: "Mark D. Baushke" <mdb@cisco.com>

Wordsmithing stuff.... beware, I am a poor speller.

	-- Mark

| Network Working Group                                       Mike StJohns
| Request for Comments:                                                DOD
| Supersedes: RFC912, RFC931                                   August 1992
|
| 			Identification Server
|

| STATUS OF THIS MEMO

Looks ok to me.

| INTRODUCTION

Looks ok to me except you may wish to add 'aka "ident" server' to the
list (see below).

| OVERVIEW
|
|    This is a connection based application on TCP.  A server listens
|    for TCP connections on TCP port 113 (decimal).  Once a connection
|    is established, the server reads one line of data which specifies
|    the connection of interest.

Use of the word 'one' implies that multiple queries are not allowed. I
recommend changing 'one' to 'a'.

|                                 If it exists, the system dependent
|    user identifier of the connection of interest is sent out the
|    connection.

This sentence is somewhat awkward. Perhaps:

	If it exists, the system dependent user identifier of the
	connection of interest is sent as the reply.

would read better?

|                 The server may then either shut the connection down or
|    it may continue to read/respond to multiple queries.

| RESTRICTIONS

Looks ok to me.

| QUERY/RESPONSE FORMAT

|    where <local-port> is the TCP port (decimal) on the target (where
|    the "ident" server is running) system, and <foreign-port> is the TCP

You need another aka above or change '"ident" server' to one of the names
listed above.

|    port (decimal) on the source (client) system.

The rest of this section look ok to me.

| RESPONSE TYPES
|
|    A response can be one of two types:
|
|    USERID

|       indicate the character set of the identification string.  If a
|       character set identifier is omitted, the identification string
|       is assumed to be in "US-ASCII".

A reference to the RFC where "US-ASCII" is defined would be
reasonable (RFC-1341) here.

	... to be in "US-ASCII" (see RFC-1341 or its successors for a
	definition of "US-ASCII"

|       Permitted operating system names and character set names are
|       specified in RFC-1060, "Assigned Numbers" or its successors.

The latest "Assigned Numbers" is RFC-1340. Please use that instead of
RFC-1060.

|       [Note that "Assigned Numbers" does not currently list character
|       set names but should eventually include them both as a source
|       for this protocol and as the result of the work of the MIME
|       mail extensions working group.]

This note is obsolete. RFC-1340 does list character set names now.

The rest looks ok to me.

|    ERROR

Look ok to me.

| FORMAL SYNTAX

The bnf looks ok to me.

|    Notes on Syntax:

|       5) The character sets and character set identifiers should map
|       directly to those specified and used by the MIME Mail
|       extensions.  Character set identifiers only apply to the user
|       identification field - all other fields will be defined in and
|       must be sent as US-ASCII.

I dislike the mention of MIME here. Now that the Assigned Number RFC
has character sets, can we just reference that instead? Perhaps:

       5) The character sets and character set identifiers should map
       directly to those defined or referenced by RFC-1340, "Assigned
       Numbers" or its successors.  Character set identifiers only
       apply to the user identification field - all other fields will
       be defined in and must be sent as US-ASCII.

would be a reasonable rewrite?

| Security Considerations:

|    information returned may be completely erroneous and misleading.
|

|    The Identity Protocol is not intended as an authorization or access

You are using two blank lines between these paragraphs where one would
be sufficient.

I have no problems with the text of the section.

| ACKNOWLEDGEMENTS:

Looks ok to me.