[idn] statements from wg co-chairs

Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca> Mon, 10 December 2001 01:16 UTC

Date: Sun, 09 Dec 2001 20:05:29 -0500
From: Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca>
To: idn@ops.ietf.org
cc: jseng@pobox.org.sg
Subject: [idn] statements from wg co-chairs
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

Chairs have reviewed the current state of the wg. We intend to focus wg
efforts on completing the on-going work quickly.

James & Marc.

============
Consistent with this focus, we are taking the following actions:

=============================
draft-ietf-idn-hangeulchar-xx.txt

This document is an attempt to modify normalisation rules of the Unicode
standard.
The chairs with AD advice have concluded that this work is not
within IETF competence and should be conducted in other appropriate
organisations.

=============================
draft-ietf-idn-tsconv-xx.txt

The chairs with AD advice have concluded that all parts of this work is
outside
of the scope of idn wg.  The parts of this work that fall within IETF scope
should be proposed for inclusion in other ietf efforts (eg. irnss).

============
We are also proposing the following:

=============================
draft-ietf-idn-lsb-ace-xx.txt

The chairs see no consensus in the working group to add this work in the
architecture.  The chairs are proposing to drop this document from the
document pool.

=============================
draft-ietf-idn-requirements-xx.txt

The chairs with AD advice have concluded that the requirements are
outdated, are no longer in sync with working group activities and
have some technical errors.  Rather than attempt to fix the document,
we propose to drop the document in its current form and replace with a new
short document that captures the approach the idn wg is taking and what we
have
learned about the problems we are solving. We expect this work being
completed
in a short time (i.e. weeks).