Re: [idn] report of the straw poll

Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net> Sun, 27 May 2001 14:41 UTC

To: Marc Blanchet <Marc.Blanchet@viagenie.qc.ca>
cc: idn@ops.ietf.org, brunner@nic-naa.net
Subject: Re: [idn] report of the straw poll
Date: Sun, 27 May 2001 10:29:12 -0400
From: Eric Brunner-Williams in Portland Maine <brunner@nic-naa.net>
Sender: owner-idn@ops.ietf.org

Marc,

I sent one of the two "Just send binary (UTF)" ballots, (use rfc2044),
arch-1 in Paul's taxonomy (draft-ietf-idn-compare-01.txt).

NeuStar hasn't completed its independent review of the Walid and Ydsig
patent claims. NeuLevel will not deploy RACE, unless directed to do so
by ICANN.

On the presumption that the IPR issue can be resolved acceptably by the
claimants and the IETF, or alternatively that a second independent review,
possibly ours, concludes as Verisign did, that there is no infringement,
my view is consistent with arch-2, "send binary or ACE", and of the ACE
choices, I'm in agreement with the idna-nameprep-ace orientation.

NeuStar will complete its independent review of the Walid and Ydsig patent
claims before London, and I'll post our findings and work-product when they
are available, initially to cooperating registries, and promptly thereafter
to this working group and other interested parties.

People working on the problem of utf8-on-the-wire feel free to drop me a note
off-list.

Eric