Re: : Re: Network research seminar announcement: JUNE 24 ]

"James B. Van Bokkelen" <jbvb@ftp.com> Fri, 19 June 1992 14:28 UTC

Date: Fri, 19 Jun 1992 10:21:59 -0400
To: vlad@erg.sri.com
Subject: Re: : Re: Network research seminar announcement: JUNE 24 ]
From: "James B. Van Bokkelen" <jbvb@ftp.com>
Cc: thakur@zerkalo.harvard.edu, idpr-wg@bbn.com, com-priv@psi.com
Sender: jbvb@ftp.com
Repository: babyoil.ftp.com
Originating-Client: plug.ftp.com

    I am sorry but all visitors to SRI are required to identify themselves to
    a guard and to be accompanied inside by an SRI employee. This is a
    standard practice at almost all high tech companies in the USA, Russia,
    and other countries.

Not true.  Required at sites that do "classified" (or whatever the local
designation is) for the local government.  You usually sign in at
non-millitary-industrial-complex "high tech" companies, but you don't
need to be accompanied, and your citizenship (which does frequently get
questioned due to skin color, accent, or last name) isn't an issue.

For you, this is SOP.  For him, it may be a significant inconvenience and
possibly an occasional source of stressful confrontations with armed people.
I wouldn't run a public seminar in such a facility if I had a choice, but
it appears that you may not.  If other countries figure this out, and we
don't, I'll be needing my passport more frequently...

James B. VanBokkelen		26 Princess St., Wakefield, MA  01880
FTP Software Inc.		voice: (617) 246-0900  fax: (617) 246-0901