Re: [Idr] IETF 73

Lixia Zhang <lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU> Mon, 17 November 2008 23:20 UTC

From: Lixia Zhang <lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU>
To: Paul Francis <francis@cs.cornell.edu>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 15:20:27 -0800
Cc: Inter-Domain Routing List <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] IETF 73
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

On Nov 15, 2008, at 6:07 AM, Paul Francis wrote:
> The sense in which they are not orthogonal is this.  IACs are only
> useful
> insofar that upstream ASes have a choice of path.  Of course, with
> BGP it
> often so happens that upstream ASes have choices, but once any AS
> makes a
> choice, it limits the number of choices it presents to its
> upstream.  If you
> have tunnels, then more choices are presented upstream, and there
> should
> therefore me more opportunities to make selections.  The mapped-bgp
> spec
> offers even more choices than the tunnel-endpoints draft.
>
> So basically my point is that if you are prepared to modify BGP to
> improve
> load balancing, you ought to consider the additional improvements
> the tunnels
> can afford you.
>
> As for the tunnel-endpoint draft being more appropriate for RRG,
> this is
> feedback I'd like to get.  Narrowly viewed, the tunnel-endpoint
> draft is
> something that improves the performance of (intra-domain) VA, which is
> already work that is being done in IDR (and was explicitly turned
> away by
> RRG).

Just my own 2 cents (with all hats off): before Dublin, the VA looked
to me as something that, if adopted, could be deployed *right away*,
so IDR seemed to me a better venue to push it--this is not so much of
turning VA away per se.  As I mentioned to you privately, I always
viewed VA as "poor man's map" in map-n-encap, which can serve as step
stone towards incremental deployment (of solutions falling under map-n-
encap).