Re: [Idr] Robustness of NLRI encoding in draft-ietf-idr-add-paths

Robert Raszuk <raszuk@cisco.com> Tue, 23 November 2010 20:29 UTC

Date: Tue, 23 Nov 2010 21:30:40 +0100
From: Robert Raszuk <raszuk@cisco.com>
To: John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>
Cc: Daniel Ginsburg <dginsburg@juniper.net>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Robustness of NLRI encoding in draft-ietf-idr-add-paths

Hi John/Enke,

It is indeed right that one may send with current encoding single path
for a given net and the price of this would be the extra 4 octets per
those nets.

If add-paths is enabled per net or per SAFI is on the border of
implementation choice vs operation requirements of the network .. and I
think the former is currently winning :)

Last if we acknowledge that add-paths may be useful to be enabled for
some specific prefixes I think it would be worth to standardize in base
add-paths encoding document an explicit way to enable such behaviour
domain wide instead of counting for consistent explicit configuration on
each bgp speaker. Set of defined standard communities each indicating
the number of required paths per prefix it is attached to would be
sufficient.

 >> Add-paths must be as defined today enabled for all IPv4 unicast
 >> SAFI
 >
 > I'm not sure what you mean by this either.  There is no requirement
 > in the spec to enable it for any particular AFI/SAFI.

That was specific to the example provided.

Many thx,
R.