Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-prefix-sid review - Text clarifying removal of SRv6 case

"Susan Hares" <shares@ndzh.com> Fri, 18 May 2018 20:10 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: "'Ketan Talaulikar (ketant)'" <ketant@cisco.com>, "'Acee Lindem (acee)'" <acee@cisco.com>, idr@ietf.org
Cc: draft-dawra-idr-srv6-vpn@ietf.org, draft-ietf-idr-bgp-prefix-sid@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 18 May 2018 16:10:45 -0400
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-bgp-prefix-sid review - Text clarifying removal of SRv6 case

Ketan:

Thank you for the description of the use cases.

In the draft:
https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-filsfils-spring-srv6-network-programming-03#section-8.

 <https://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-filsfils-spring-srv6-network-programming-04#section-8.2>
8.2.  BGP-LS

   BGP-LS is expected to be the key service discovery protocol.  Every
   node is expected to advertise via BGP-LS its SRv6 capabilities (e.g.
   how many SIDs in can insert as part of an T.Insert behavior) and any
   locally instantiated SID[I-D.ietf-idr-bgp-ls-segment-routing-ext][I-D
   .ietf-idr-te-lsp-distribution].

My understanding is that you are implying that the BGP extension for SRv6 do not

use a BGP attribute.

In section 2, you state:  “The BGP-LS [RFC7752] defines the BGP Node and Link attributes.”

I believe what you mean is:

New/ The BGP-LS [RFC7752] defines the BGP Node and Link attributes for the Link-State NLRI./

Is this correct?  If so, it might be good to make that small clarification to your draft.

I also believe that you are encoding the SRv6 SIDs that are associated with the node in the

BGP-LS [RFC7752] Link-State NLRI in the NLRI type node as a TLV within this NLRI type.

The SRv6 draft (draft-dawra-idr-bgpls-srv6-ext-03)  does

not anticipate using a BGP attribute to associate the an SID with a set of prefixes

being announced by a node.  Instead, this draft suggest that the SID assignment will be

assigned to a node TLV being sent by a BGP Speaker.

My understanding is that the node this SID TLV is associated does not have to be a bgp speaker.

Is this correct?

Thank you for helping me understand your document.

Susan Hares