[Idr] fwd: New Version Notification for draft-xu-idr-tunnel-address-prefix-00.txt

Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com> Fri, 11 May 2012 09:19 UTC

From: Xuxiaohu <xuxiaohu@huawei.com>
To: "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2012 09:16:50 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.108.4.99]
Subject: [Idr] fwd: New Version Notification for draft-xu-idr-tunnel-address-prefix-00.txt

Hi all,

This document (http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-xu-idr-tunnel-address-prefix-00) describes a new BGP attribute referred to as Tunnel Address Prefix Attribute and a new BGP address specific extended community referred to as Tunnel Address Prefix Extended Community, both of which are intended for facilitating the load-balancing of IP/GRE tunneled traffic (e.g., L3VPN-over-GRE traffic) in the core of IP-enabled Packet Switch Networks (PSN).

The basic idea of this method is: a given (tunnel) egress router signals to (tunnel) ingress routers a special prefix called “tunnel address prefix” via BGP and any addresses beginning with that prefix would be used by those ingress routers as tunnel destination addresses when tunneling traffic towards that egress router. Therefore distinct traffic flows between that tunnel endpoint pair could be encapsulated with as many different tunnel destination addresses as possible. In this way, core routers could achieve a better load-balancing for those IP/GRE tunneled traffic through performing hash calculation just on the fields in the IP header (e.g., source IP address, destination IP address).

Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

Best regards,
Xiaohu