Re: [Idr] AS hopcount draft as an IDR WG document

"Elmar K. Bins" <elmi@4ever.de> Mon, 24 October 2005 07:39 UTC

Date: Mon, 24 Oct 2005 09:39:25 +0200
From: "Elmar K. Bins" <elmi@4ever.de>
To: Yakov Rekhter <yakov@juniper.net>
Subject: Re: [Idr] AS hopcount draft as an IDR WG document
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

yakov@juniper.net (Yakov Rekhter) wrote:

> We received a request (see below) to accept draft-li-as-hopcount-03.txt
> as an IDR WG document.
>
> Comments are greatly appreciated. The deadline for comments is
> November 6, 2005 (not 10/31, as mentioned below).

I - as a newbie to this list - would like to comment in a somewhat
private way on this; I'd anyhow like to share my thoughts and I
hope I'm not too far off-topic.

I like this proposal very much, because it enables conscious
operators to somewhat "confine" their more specific advertisements
(or, their advertisements at all) to a certain radius.

I personally would like this level of control over the prefixes
I use for anycasting. Controlling load-sharing over anycast
locations is a pretty hard job, and the control is not really
better than marginal.

I also see an application in more-specific multi-homing. We'll
be needing this in the next year, splitting our PA block in the
process (not wanting to waste address resources on top of using
up additional slots in the BGP tables). And since we're such
good netizens, we'd like to be able to confine the more specifics'
propagation to some radius that covers all locations involved. The
aggregate will provide for fallback connectivity.

Unfortunately, I strongly believe that not everybody that could
use the AS hopcount feature will actually use it without being
given additional incentive. As per the proposal, setting the NLRI
is entirely voluntary. It also involves (a) an understanding of
how DFZ routing works, (b) an idea of how far into the DFZ their
advertisements need to be seen, and (c) the will to confine the
advertisements.

Would you consider using AS hopcount as a way to lighten DFZ tables
from more-specific multi-homing garbage an abuse of the scheme?

If not, does anybody have an idea of how to get people to confine
their more specific prefixes, some way of incentive? I'm not sure
if this can be done in the draft itself. This may need to be
addresses separately, but could be mentioned alongside the draft.

Thanks for listening,
			Elmar.