Re: [Idr] 1 WG call for Review draft-ietf-sidr-origin-validation-signaling-04 - RFC4271 changes

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Thu, 12 November 2015 14:18 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: "John G. Scudder" <jgs@bgp.nu>
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 14:18:16 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.168.234.1]
Cc: idr wg <idr@ietf.org>, "Murphy, Sandra" <Sandra.Murphy@parsons.com>, Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] 1 WG call for Review draft-ietf-sidr-origin-validation-signaling-04 - RFC4271 changes

Hi John,

Thanks for taking the time to take my comments into accounts.
-06 address all my comments.

Following the changes, I have some further comments. Please feel free to silently discard/update as you wish.
*) §2  :s/TBD/0x00

*) Following the removal of the change to the BGP Decision Process, the 2 first sentences of the abstract & Introduction could probably be removed or rewritten. (Currently is “As part of the origination AS validation process, it can be desirable
   to automatically consider the validation state of routes in the BGP
   decision process.  The purpose of this document is to provide a
   specification for doing so. »

*) §2 “An implementation SHOULD NOT send more than one instance of the
   origin validation state extended community.  However, if more than
   one instance is received, an implementation MUST disregard all
   instances other than the one with the numerically-greatest value.”

Sorry for nit picking, but since this may impact interoperability, I would prefer if you could explicitly specify what “numerically-greatest value” refers to. IMHO “validationstate” but some people could understand “extended community”

*) §2 For the same reason, explicitly specifying what to do with the Reserved field would ease my mind. (I assume Reserved: MUST be set to 0, and SHOULD be ignored upon receipt)

Thanks,
Bruno