Re: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-add-paths-guidelines-02.txt

"Simpson, Adam (Adam)" <adam.simpson@alcatel-lucent.com> Fri, 25 November 2011 19:32 UTC

From: "Simpson, Adam (Adam)" <adam.simpson@alcatel-lucent.com>
To: "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Nov 2011 13:32:32 -0600
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Idr] I-D Action: draft-ietf-idr-add-paths-guidelines-02.txt

This is a minor update from the -01 version.

The authors would appreciate feedback on this latest version. For those that have not read the draft it attempts to fill in details about the different use cases for Add-Paths, the configuration flexibility required by these use cases, and related interoperability considerations. Any feedback is welcome but input on the specific questions below would be particularly helpful.

Path selection modes:

1. A while ago a suggestion was made that the document consider an Add-N-best-external mode. The authors have discussed this and believe such a mode does not offer useful value above and beyond the Add-N mode.

2. We discussed at the IETF81 meeting the potential value of a new path selection mode that selects all paths or the N best paths with a specific community value. The authors are inclined to add this new mode to a future version of the draft. Are there strong views for or against inclusion of this new mode?

3. Beyond the new mode discussed in the previous point, there are no plans to document any further path selection modes. If there is a compelling use case for a mode we have not considered this should be brought to our attention either on- or off-list.

Changes to the Add-Paths capability:

1. The Add-Paths capability, as currently defined in draft-ietf-idr-add-paths, provides no means of signaling the max number of paths per prefix the local speaker would like to receive from its Add-Paths capable neighbor. Routers in certain roles may have a soft or hard constraint about the number of paths per prefix they want to receive from selected peers, and could signal this constraint on a per AFI/SAFI basis to help the sender with its path selection. Would it be useful to extend the Add-Paths capability to include this max paths request? As usual, the routing consistency risks of advertising a different set of paths to different neighbors must be carefully considered.

Regards,

Authors