Re: [Idr] draft on "Tunnel Endpoints in BGP"

Lixia Zhang <lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU> Sun, 02 November 2008 19:16 UTC

From: Lixia Zhang <lixia@CS.UCLA.EDU>
To: Paul Francis <francis@cs.cornell.edu>
Date: Sun, 02 Nov 2008 11:16:18 -0800
Cc: idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft on "Tunnel Endpoints in BGP"
Sender: idr-bounces@ietf.org

On Oct 28, 2008, at 6:15 AM, Paul Francis wrote:
> By the way Robert, embedded in the Mapped-BGP document is the
> following text about policies.  Do you think this is accurate?
>
>    We can divide policies into two types: policies that act at the
>    granularity of ASes, and those that act at the granularity of
>    prefixes.  AS-level policies are preserved in Mapped-BGP, because
>    these policies can be applied to TE-routes (of which there are,
>    roughly, one per AS).  Indeed, AS-granularity policies become
> cheaper
>    to enact, because there are fewer routes to deal with.  Examples of
>    AS-based policies are: prefer routes to customers over other
> routes.
>    Prefer routes to peers over routes to providers.  Do not export
>    routes received from peers to non-customers.
>
>    Most policies that act at the granularity of prefixes are for the
>    purpose of traffic engineering.  There are a number of such
> examples.
>    For instance, one ISP may give per-prefex MEDs to its neighbor in
>    order to influence how packets enter each peering point.  This
> may be
>    done either for the purpose of load balance, or in order to
> minimize
>    the distance that packets need to travel within the receiving ISP.
>    Likewise an ISP might set loc-prefs on a per prefix basis to
>    influence the outgoing load on each peering point.  A multi-homed
>    site might deaggregate its prefix, and then use community
> attributes
>    offered by its provider to do per-prefix path prepending or route
>    filtering to influence the load on its incoming access links.
>
> PF

The above sounds accurate to me.

and the APT team holds the same view: we believed that the mapping
function does not affect the BGP routing policy (in the terminology,
the AS-granularity policies), and can support prefix-granularity
policies in an explicit way (than what can be done with the current
BGP routing, through specific declarations associated with each
mapping entry). But draft-jen-apt-01 (section 7.1) did not manage to
state it clearly.

Lixia