Re: [Idr] draft-haas-idr-extended-experimental usage

Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org> Wed, 12 January 2022 11:48 UTC

From: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@pfrc.org>
Date: Wed, 12 Jan 2022 06:48:26 -0500
Cc: Job Snijders <job=40fastly.com@dmarc.ietf.org>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
To: Andrew Alston <Andrew.Alston=40liquidtelecom.com@dmarc.ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-haas-idr-extended-experimental usage

"Shipping" this feature at path attribute code point 255 is honestly the least anti-social thing that implementor could have done.  Otherwise, they're just squatting. :-)

But yes, it's not a safe place to leave anything that needs to be operational.

I'm quite happy to dust off this draft and move it through adoption for IDR.  The Working Group will want to help finalize some of the issues raised by the initial discussion.  This is archived in the Appendices:
- Do we want to leverage this mechanism for private path attributes or solely for experiments?
- The filtering procedures in the specification heavily lean toward throwing everything out that you don't explicitly permit.  This intentionally makes the feature hard to use.  If this is to be used for anything besides experiments, we should discuss those procedures.

Original slides from IETF-97.
https://www.ietf.org/proceedings/97/slides/slides-97-idr-extended-experimental-path-attributes-00.pdf

-- Jeff