Re: [Idr] Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-idr-entropy-label-13

Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com> Tue, 12 December 2023 02:57 UTC

From: Mach Chen <mach.chen@huawei.com>
To: John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>
CC: "rtg-dir@ietf.org" <rtg-dir@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-idr-entropy-label.all@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-idr-entropy-label.all@ietf.org>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2023 02:56:53 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.110.46.250]
Subject: Re: [Idr] Rtgdir early review of draft-ietf-idr-entropy-label-13

Hi John,

Thanks for your prompt response!

Some replies inline...

I am thinking about that if the NHC can also apply to MP_REAH_NLRI, then is the "match" checking process based on the NEXT_HOP attribute or the Network Address of Next Hop of MP_REACH_NLRI?

> > Please expand ELCv3 when first use.
>
> Done.
>
> > In Section 2.1, the last paragraph
> > Given the a BGP speaker "MUST" elect to be prepared to consume
> > capabilities in any order, I am not sure it's necessary to require
> > that the sender "MUST" place the Capablity TLVs in increasing oder.
> > Maybe it's better to use some other relax requirement.  For example, "It
> recommends that..."
>
> I think an earlier reviewer pointed out that there's no reason to confuse
> implementers by suggesting they use anything other than canonical order
> under any circumstances whatsoever. So, I prefer to keep the MUST. If we
> were going to soften anything, I guess it would be the one about receiving
> out-of-order TLVs, but I don't see a need for that either.

Given there were some discussion on this, I am OK with the MUST.

> > In Section 2.2,
> >
> > s/some other BGP speaker/some other BGP speakers
>
> This is correct as written. The singular is intended.
>
> > s/S need/S needs to
>
> This is also correct as written, but I acknowledge the usage is less common
> than some other ways of expressing the same thought. So for clarity, I
> rewrote “S need take no special action" as "S does not need to take any
> special action”.

OK.

> > In Section 2.3
> > OLD:
> > When a BGP speaker receives a BGP route that includes the NHC, it MUST
> > compare the address given in the header portion of the NHC and
> > illustrated in Figure 1 to the next hop of the BGP route. NEW: When a
> > BGP speaker receives a BGP route that includes a NHC, it MUST compare
> > the next hop address given in the header portion of the NHC illustrated in
> Figure 1 to the next hop of the BGP route.
>
> I think the sentence as written is OK, and strictly speaking the address in the
> NHC header isn’t a next hop, it's just an identifier that happens to correlate
> with a next hop. So, I prefer not to describe it as "next hop address" unless
> necessary, which I don't think it is — on the contrary, I think it would impede
> clarity.

OK, thanks for the clarification.

> > s/some intermediate BGP speaker/some intermediate BGP speakers
>
> Again, the singular is intended.
>
> > s/both does not/both do not
>
> And again. I thought of removing the "both", but it serves to make clear that
> the two facts separated by the “and” that follows are independent. So I
> think it's better with.

OK.

> > In Section 3.2, it says:
> > "When a BGP speaker S has a route R it wishes to advertise with next
> > hop N to its peer, it SHOULD include the ELCv3 capability if it knows
> > that the egress of the associated LSP L is EL-capable, otherwise it
> > MUST NOT include the ELCv3 capability." Is it appropriate to use
> > "SHOULD" here, IMHO, it's better to use "MAY".
>
> Done.
>
> > In Section 3.3,
> > OLD:
> > "When a BGP speaker receives a labeled route that includes the ELCv3,
> > it indicates the associated LSP supports entropy labels." NEW: "When a
> > BGP speaker receives a labeled route that includes the ELCv3, it
> > indicates the egress LSR of associated LSP supports entropy labels."
>
> I think this isn't quite right, because of the midpoint case covered in "Is
> re-advertising a BGP route it received with a valid ELCv3 capability, and is
> changing the next hop that it has received to N, and knows (for example,
> through configuration) that the new next hop (normally itself) even if not
> EL-capable will simply swap labels without popping the BGP-advertised label
> stack and processing the label below, as with a transit LSR”.

But what does it mean that an LSP supports entropy labels? Maybe we could change the way of expressing, for example:
"When a BGP speaker receives a labeled route that includes the ELCv3, it indicates that it can safely insert an entropy label into the label stack of the associated LSP.

Thanks,
Mach