Re: using the TCP MD5 protection for BGP - Proposed Standard???

Curtis Villamizar <curtis@brookfield.ans.net> Wed, 29 July 1998 14:27 UTC

Delivery-Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:27:12 -0400
To: "Luis A. Sanchez" <lsanchez@bbn.com>
cc: curtis@ans.net, sandy@tis.com, idr@merit.edu, skent@bbn.com
Subject: Re: using the TCP MD5 protection for BGP - Proposed Standard???
Date: Wed, 29 Jul 1998 10:05:05 -0400
From: Curtis Villamizar <curtis@brookfield.ans.net>
Sender: owner-idr@merit.edu

In message <199807281614.QAA00388@nutmeg.bbn.com>, "Luis A. Sanchez" writes:
> > Are there any objections to the content of the draft (holes that need
> > to be plugged other than weakness in MD5?).
>
> - I found eight instances (not counting the title) of the word
> "signature" in the document. This should be changed to "Integrity
> Check Value (ICV)" or "authenticator" I prefer the latter but both
> terms will be appropriate in this context.

This strikes me as a wording change but the term authenticator is more
accurate.

> - There are some residual vulnerabilities in the protocol that i think
> should be mentioned. For example, the fact that the keys are
> configured manually (since there is no automated key management
> facility) implies that these keys will exist for a reasonable amount
> of time, certainly longer than a single TCP connection since no-one
> will be reconfiguring the keys manually after every route flap, hard
> reset or TCP FIN for that matter. THis means that the opportunity
> exists for an attacker to replay old traffic that could cause
> interesting problems. Of particular interest, would be recorded
> traffic carrying hard resets. This traffic would succesfully pass the
> ICV validation. The trick is in mapping the sequence numbers, which
> could be done. Although it is harder than it used to be. This changes
> will affect section 4.1 and will probably require a new section too.

You'd also need to match the port pair.  Since one end is randomized
over the better part of 64k (or at least around 10k for TCP
implementations that restrict the range of port values) and the
initial sequence number is randomized, the chance of being able to
replay is quite small.

BTW- BGP sessions do last quite long.  Generally months or more.

> - One would want to specify key sizes and ranges to be used in
> conjuction with MD5. This will allow one to assess the level of
> security being offered by this mechanism. Security through obscurity
> (intentionally or not) has proven to be the wrong approach.  Hence,
> section 4.5 needs some more explanation and clarification.

OK.

> Now, the hard ones:
>
> - The use of a hash algorithm in this keyed fashion (Keyed-MD5) has
> been disparaged in the literature for two years, prompting changes in
> the IPsec RFCs; it seems inappropriate to promote the use of this sort
> of authentication technology in a newly issued RFC.  Personally, i
> think we should provide an HMAC with either with the option of using
> it with either (MD5 or SHA-1).
>
> I think that minimum we should modify section 4.4 since it gives the
> impression that the collison problem of MD5 is the only problem with
> using this option and, that we add a new section comparing the
> keyed-MD5 transform used in this protocol versus using an HMAC with
> MD5. Vendors who choose to implement this option and customers who
> choose to use it will be able to assess the level of security provided
> by this feature.
>
> Luis

These seem like reasonable changes.  We may need two more TCP option
numbers for HMAC with MD5 and HMAC with SHA-1 or one more option and a
algorithm type (two bytes is plenty).  The TCP option 19 is already in
widespread use so we'd need to get another number.

The security consideration section could then state that:

   This document defines a weak but currently practiced security
   mechanism for BGP using MD5 and a incremental improvement using an
   HMAC with MD5 or an HMAC with SHA-1.  It is anticipated that future
   work will provide different stronger mechanisms for dealing with
   these issues.

Perhaps the author of the draft should comment rather than me (or
someone that knows what they are talking about rather than me :).

Curtis

ps- for us near crypto illiterates could you point to some consise
references that explain HMAC with MD5 and HMAC with SHA-1.