Re: [Idr] draft-hb-idr-sr-p2mp-policy (3/10 to 3/24/2022) - Adoption call - TEA attribute

Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com> Wed, 06 April 2022 00:04 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@ndzh.com>
To: idr@ietf.org
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2022 20:03:52 -0400
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-hb-idr-sr-p2mp-policy (3/10 to 3/24/2022) - Adoption call - TEA attribute

Jeffrey and Hooman:

This adoption call runs until 4/8/2022.  The reason I have extended the

adoption call is to determine what interaction there is between

draft-hb-idr-sr-p2mp-policy-04.txt (which has interest in IDR) and

draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller-07.txt (adopted by BESS).

I need your input on these questions in order to advise BESS, PIM, and IDR

WG-chairs + WGS on the status of these drafts.   Please let me know if I am

Unclear on my questions.

This is the first of 3 lengthy technical messages.

You indicated in

https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/msg/idr/8k4Pkcg0aqIwPFbSULXepsaHDSw/

"When it comes to SR-P2MP state downloading, there are three aspects
involved here:

1.	NLRI to encode policy information
2.	NLRI to encode <tree/path/instance, node> identification
3.	Tunnel Encapsulation Attribute (TEA) that encodes actual replication
branches

The draft-ietf-bess-(even when used for SR-P2MP) is aligned with other

non-SR multicast trees (IP/mLDP) for a unified approach,

while draft-hb is aligned to unicast BGP SR policy."

This post examines the TEA attribute discussion in section 3.1 of

draft-ietf-bess-bgp-multicast-controller-07.txt draft.

Section 3.1 specifies  two types of tunnels for TEA (RFC9012):

any encapsulation (3.1.1) and load balancing (3.1.2)

plus interactions with PMSI (section 3.1.3), and

4 Sub-TLVs.  In section 3.4.3 you provide signaling for the

Policy to enter this tree, but you do not indicate how the

two different tunnel types interact with

the tunnel types defined in draft-ietf-idr-segment-routing-te-policy-15.txt

Section 2.4.4 of draft-ietf-idr-segment-routing-te-policy-15.txt

contains a new tunnel type: SR Policy and two groups of

subTLVs: weight SubTLV and segment SubTLVS (A-K).

1) how do the 3 Tunnel types interact?

(all encapsulation, load balancing, and SR Policy type)

Please include in your discussion where this interaction is

Described in the text.

2)  How do these 3 tunnel types interact with the

PMSI tunnels or Source-Active AD routes (types 1-3),

or ASM SPT (type 5) or C-multicast overlays (Type 6-7)?

This is  (section 3.1.3)?

3) draft-bess-bgp-multicast-controller states in section 1.7

on sr-p2mp:

"An SR- Point-to-Multipoint (SR P2MP) policy is used to

Define and instantiate a P2MP tree which is computed by a

Controller."

Section 3.4.2 defines the SR P2MP policy as  BGP

Community container in the BGP Wide communities which

Contains candidate path preference + TLVS.

You state in section 3.4.2

"The replicate state route for replication segments signaled to the

root is also used to signal (parts of) the SR P2MP Policy -

the policy name, the set of leaves [..optional], the preference of CP

and other information".

3a) Are you proposing translating this from the SR Policy or what?

3b) how are the atoms used in the policy?

4) Give an example of how a simple scenario might be implemented

With section 3.4.3.1 and 3.4.3.2?

Thank you, Sue