[Idr] draft-ietf-idr-as0-02

<bruno.decraene@orange.com> Thu, 12 January 2012 08:45 UTC

From: bruno.decraene@orange.com
To: Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>, "keyupate@cisco.com" <keyupate@cisco.com>, "idr@ietf.org" <idr@ietf.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Jan 2012 08:45:31 +0000
x-originating-ip: [10.197.38.1]
Subject: [Idr] draft-ietf-idr-as0-02

Hi Warren, Keyur, all,

>From: Warren Kumari >Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2012 12:53 AM

[...]

>Keyur also pointed out that AS numbers show up in all sorts of other places (as
>an example, AS specific Extended Communities) -- as they may show up in yet
>more places as BGP gets extended I also inserted some fairly generic text
>saying that you SHOULD handle these as malformed and respond appropriately.
>While not ideal, I think it is OK.

Warren, thanks for highlighting the diff on the IDR mailing list.

v02 of the draft adds: "As UPDATE with zero in any other field where an AS number is expected	(for example, "4-Octet AS specific Extended Community" [RFC5668]) SHOULD be treated as malformed and handled appropriately."

1) This is in contradiction with the use of AS number 0 for "well known" / IANA assigned communities. Both regular ones as defined in RFC 1997 and extended ones as defined in draft-ietf-idr-reserved-extended-communities. So at the minimum, these 2 usages must be allowed.

2) More generally, I tend to disagree with this addition:
- for existing fields, this document should specify where the use of AS 0 is accepted or not (and hence treated as error). (for simplicity, I guess it's enough to defined fields when it's not accepted)
- for future fields, IMO this document should only call for asking further specifications to define what should be the behavior with AS 0.

And for existing fields, IMHO, this document should be conservative with regards to its change on existing specifications. IMHO it should only forbid the use of AS 0 when necessary (for your new use case).
As an another example, I don't think treating as an error a BGP/MPLS VPN route having an AS 0 in its Route Target or Route Distinguisher field is a good idea. This may unexpectedly withdraw VPN routes in some live networks. And I don't see a reason for this.

Thanks,
Regards,
Bruno

PS: Obviously my comment also applies to the following v02 addition "A BGP speaker SHOULD NOT generate or propagate an UPDATE with zero in any field where an AS number is expected (for example,	"4-Octet AS specific Extended Community" [RFC5668])