Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-gredler-idr-ls-distribution as IDR WG document

"UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com> Fri, 10 August 2012 10:46 UTC

From: "UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com>
To: 'Rob Shakir' <rjs@rob.sh>, John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>
Date: Fri, 10 Aug 2012 10:45:29 +0000
x-originating-ip: [135.70.57.253]
Cc: "idr@ietf.org List" <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Adoption of draft-gredler-idr-ls-distribution as IDR WG document

All,

	I am all for using BGP as a general purpose protocol. It is unfortunate that we have to have the same types of discussions every time a draft is introduced that uses BGP in a non-traditional manner. We need a top down view or better said a framework of the how BGP as a protocol should behave when being used for different applications ( I am tired of listening to myself say that!!! ). This draft addresses a valid problem space and IMO the IETF has allowed for many non-traditional applications to become WG drafts without the required specifications some of which Rob clearly lays out below.  Not sure how to proceed ? Comments In-Line..

Jim Uttaro