Re: [Idr] draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-01: when does PE revert back to standard label?

Jakob Heitz <jakob.heitz@ericsson.com> Sat, 02 April 2011 21:57 UTC

From: Jakob Heitz <jakob.heitz@ericsson.com>
To: "raszuk@cisco.com" <raszuk@cisco.com>, idr <idr@ietf.org>
Date: Sat, 02 Apr 2011 17:59:16 -0400
acceptlanguage: en-US
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-bashandy-idr-bgp-repair-label-01: when does PE revert back to standard label?

Robert,

You are talking about something quite different.
Please understand the scenario I described
and answer it directly.

I'll describe it again, using the diagram from the draft:
I will add another CE, CE2. CE2 will send an IP packet to CE.

Initial topology:

         +--------------------------+
         |                          |   +-----CE2
         |      BGP free Core       |  /
         |                          | /
         |      +------------------PE1----+
         |     /                    |      \
         |    /                     |       \
         |   /                      |        \
         |  /                       |         \
         | /                        |          *
        PE3                         |          CE....... VPN prefix
         | \                        |          *          (P/p)
         |  \                       |         /
         |   \                      |        /
         |    \                     |       /
         |     \                    |      /
         |      +------------------PE2----+
         |                          |
         |                          |
         +--------------------------+

CE detaches from PE1 and attaches to PE3.

         +--------------------------+
         |                          |   +-----CE2
         |      BGP free Core       |  /
         |                          | /
         |      +------------------PE1
         |     /                    |
         |    /                     |
         |   /                      |
         |  /                       |
         | /                        |
        PE3                         |          CE....... VPN prefix
       / | \                        |          *          (P/p)
      +  |  \                       |         /|
      |  |   \                      |        / |
      |  |    \                     |       /  |
      |  |     \                    |      /   |
      |  |      +------------------PE2----+    |
      |  |                          |          |
      |  |                          |          |
      |  +--------------------------+          |

If PE3 sends an MPLS packet to PE1, PE1 uses the repair label to send to PE2.
If CE2 sends an IP packet to PE1, PE1 should use the primary label to send it to PE2.
It should NEVER use the repair label to send that packet.

The reason? If the link PE2 - CE were to fail, PE2 would not use the backup to PE3.

         +--------------------------+
         |                          |   +-----CE2
         |      BGP free Core       |  /
         |                          | /
         |      +------------------PE1
         |     /                    |
         |    /                     |
         |   /                      |
         |  /                       |
         | /                        |
        PE3                         |          CE....... VPN prefix

Jakob Heitz.