Re: [Idr] Status of the AddPath Capability

Uli Bornhauser <ub@cs.uni-bonn.de> Fri, 07 December 2007 18:27 UTC

Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 19:27:17 +0100
From: Uli Bornhauser <ub@cs.uni-bonn.de>
To: "Bhatia, Manav (Manav)" <manav@alcatel-lucent.com>
Subject: Re: [Idr] Status of the AddPath Capability
Cc: idr@ietf.org, "Horneffer, Martin" <Martin.Horneffer@t-com.net>

Hi Mantav, hi all,

thank you for the information. They help me to get a better overview
about the current status of the addpath capability. Mantav, while you
might be right that there was a want of interest regarding addpath in
the past, I think this does not match the current situation. For my
studies I cooperate with Deutsche Telekom AG, who is also very
interested in a support of addpath in their routers. So, interest at
this point seems to be abundant.

Well, you ask what I have in mind: I made some analysis regarding both
full-mesh iBGP and iBGP Route Reflection to study new approaches
avoiding routing anomalies. One approach requires the advertisement of
additional routing information as described by the Addpath-capability.

Greetings

Uli

Bhatia, Manav (Manav) schrieb:

> The discussion has fallen into an abeyance because of lack of provider interest for such a capability, i.e. to advertise multiple paths in BGP. And the two drafts thus stand in limbo.
>
> However this should not discourage you from your work. What exactly do you have in your mind?
>
> Cheers,
> Manav

Uli Bornhauser                University of Bonn
                              Institute of Computer Science IV
Email: ub@cs.uni-bonn.de      Roemerstr. 164
Phone: +49 (228) 73 - 4550    D - 53117 Bonn
Fax:   +49 (228) 73 - 4571    Germany