Re: [Idr] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification-15: (with DISCUSS)

"UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com> Tue, 22 May 2018 22:03 UTC

From: "UTTARO, JAMES" <ju1738@att.com>
To: Robert Raszuk <robert@raszuk.net>, Warren Kumari <warren@kumari.net>
CC: idr wg <idr@ietf.org>, "draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification@ietf.org" <draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification@ietf.org>, The IESG <iesg@ietf.org>, "idr-chairs@ietf.org" <idr-chairs@ietf.org>
Date: Tue, 22 May 2018 22:02:51 +0000
x-originating-ip: [130.10.234.105]
Subject: Re: [Idr] Warren Kumari's Discuss on draft-ietf-idr-bgp-gr-notification-15: (with DISCUSS)

There were a number of scenarios where the control plane could be compromised. It is important to be aware that the intention here was for services that were configuration i.e VPLS/BGP ( Kompella ), FlowSpec and “staler” services i.e L3VPN where an operator would prefer a degree of incorrectness as opposed to a total outage..

I am speaking from a perspective of AT&T’s network.

a)      RR Plane Failure – AT&T runs a large L3VPN network, the amount of state easily reaches into the tens of millions. To accommodate this state I employed an architecture/design that disseminates the state across multiple planes of RRs with a given VPN’s routes spread across the planes. Assuming each plane accommodates ~1M routes the risk to a significant outage where an entire plane is compromised would be the percentage of that VPNs routes on that given plane. The planes are made of gear from multiple vendors but we have seen an ill formed message from a  bad actor take out an entire plane.

b)      Isolation – Geography in different parts of the world may cause a part of the network to be disconnected from the control plane. I have seen this in Africa, Asia and the states. As an ex… If my RR pair is in Atlanta and provides control plane for Florida a loss of the Atl RRs will cause an intra-FLA failure.. So a BGP/VPWS circuit between Miami and Tampa would be compromised by the loss of the Atl RRs. One may suggest that the answer is simple and one can simple increase the densification of RRs. Of course it would be RR pair * Planes for a given service. This is a poor tradeoff that will be incremental in nature

At the end of the day BGP is used for far more than originally envisioned with many “configuration” applications ( FlowSpec, BGP/VPLS ), reporting applications ( BGP-LS …. ).. BGP Persistence provides a simple method to maintain forwarding and leaves it to the discretion of the operator in terms of stale time, services etc….

Thanks,
                Jim Uttaro