Re: [Idr] Robustness of NLRI encoding in draft-ietf-idr-add-paths

"Shyam Sethuram (shsethur)" <shsethur@cisco.com> Wed, 24 November 2010 08:23 UTC

Date: Wed, 24 Nov 2010 00:24:40 -0800
From: "Shyam Sethuram (shsethur)" <shsethur@cisco.com>
To: "Robert Raszuk (raszuk)" <raszuk@cisco.com>, John Scudder <jgs@juniper.net>
Cc: Daniel Ginsburg <dginsburg@juniper.net>, idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] Robustness of NLRI encoding in draft-ietf-idr-add-paths

Hi Robert,
IMO the use of two different MP attributes to encode prefixes
belonging to the same afi/safi can lead to consistency issues.
Consider a prefix that currently is advertised using MP_REACH.
Suppose that prefix is now 'enabled' for add-paths. Would there
be an explicit MP_UNREACH followed by MP_ADD_PATHS_REACH ? And
vice-versa...

The only 'drawback' I see with the current scheme, as you also
noted, is the extra 4 bytes per NLRI if there's only
a bestpath to advertise.
Coming back to the original issue of mishandled capability
negotiation, that is akin to handling of 4byte AS capability
and AS_PATH. I'm not entirely sure we need to address a way
around implementation bugs for this particular case. But if
there's a dire need to do so using separate MP attribute types,
then we need to make the use of MP_REACH and MP_ADD_PATHS_REACH
mutually exclusive on a given session for a given afi/safi.

thanks--shyam

Robert Raszuk
>(raszuk)
>Sent: Tuesday, November 23, 2010 12:31 PM