Re: [Idr] BGP MIBv2 implementation

"Daniel Cohn" <DanielC@orckit.com> Wed, 25 April 2012 12:42 UTC

Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 15:44:37 +0300
From: Daniel Cohn <DanielC@orckit.com>
To: Jeffrey Haas <jhaas@juniper.net>, idr@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [Idr] BGP MIBv2 implementation

Hi Jeff and all,

Sorry for the delayed response. I think it would be a shame to go
through the hassle of updating the BGP MIB without fully supporting BGP
L3VPN/VPLS (in both RFC 4761 and 6074 flavors). Therefore I support
using a generic NLRI prefix TC that explicitly supports these NLRIs and
can be extended to support future BGP applications. It doesn't seem
consistent to add AFI/SAFI to the MIB while leaving the NLRI as an IP
address.

A couple more suggestions for this draft:

-          Change the bgp4V2AdjRibsOutTable index to make it the same as
in bgp4V2NlriTable. In its current form (a pointer to the
bgp4V2NlriTable), it doesn't support BGP routes originated by this
speaker (e.g. redistributed from IGP) so it's woefully inadequate.

-          Add support for BGP communities (as in your communities
draft) in the NLRI in/out tables.

-          Restore local address (and maybe ports) to bgp4V2PeerTable
index to support multiple BGP sessions between two speakers as in
draft-ietf-grow-diverse-bgp-path-dist

Feedback is welcome, regards,

Daniel