[Idr] FW: idr minutes

"Susan Hares" <shares@nexthop.com> Fri, 08 August 2003 14:01 UTC

From: Susan Hares <shares@nexthop.com>
To: idr@ietf.org
Cc: yakov@juniper.net
Subject: [Idr] FW: idr minutes
Sender: idr-admin@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 09:59:20 -0400

IETF 57 IDR Minutes
Chairs: Yakov Rekhter, Sue Hares

ID Document Status (chairs)
------------------
- Base Spec done! Will post -21 after IETF.
- See slides

Avoid BGP Best Path Transition From one External to Another
	      draft-chen-bgp-avoid-transition-00.txt
-  BGP identifier used in last phases of BGP routes selection
-  Appear random
-  Subject to change
-  Reduces stability
-  Proposed solution: Don't eliminate either path due to BGP ID during path
selection
-      Exception: AS Confederations; parallel sessions
- Advantages: stability, reduce iBGP oscillation

- Request to adopt as WG draft, but WG is in closed status until base doc is
approved

Advertising Equal Cost Multipath Routes in BGP
              draft-bhatia-ecmp-routes-in-bgp-00
- Route reflector only advertises route that it installs
- May not be optimal for all RR clients or external peers
- May lead to route oscillation
- Advertise two paths to destination
- Proposal: ECMP-NEXT-HOP attribute
     If specified, second advertisement is not

CHEN: I don't think that this is adequate to prevent route oscillation.
Bhatia: It will because multiple paths are advertised
CHEN: How is this different from last presentation
Bhatia: Don't need to change encoding
CHEN: Advertising best external route also solves oscillation problem.
Without changing spec.
Marques: Draft should be named "How to advertise multiple paths in BGP".
Look at Alvero's draft.
Yakov: Also look at how MP-BGP addresses this

BGPv4 SAFI-Specific Attribute
              draft-kapoor-nalawade-idr-bgp-ssa-00
The Tunnel SAFI
              draft-nalawade-kapoor-tunnel-safi-00
--------------------------------------
- Exchange tunnel endpoint information
- avoid o(n^2) configuration problem
- Proposal: Use BGP to advertise tunnel endpoints
-          SAFI specific Attribute carries tunnel attributes
- SAFI specific attribute value contains TLVs
- TLV context determined by type field
- Negotiated capability

Hares: Whats the cookie for
kapoor: Its defined in l2tpv3.
Yakov: Need discussion on mailing list. Unbundle SAFI discussion from
discussion of whether we need a new attribute.
Yakov: How do we control type codes?
Kapoor: Options - IANA, WG consensus; we can talk about it
Yakov: Do you have concept of transitive or non-transitive TLV
Kapoor: Attribute is transitive. All TLV inherit.

Multiprotocol Next Hop Attribute
              draft-lefaucheur-mp-nh-00
- need to advertise next hop different from AF of NLRI
- may need to advertise multiple next-hops for a prefix
- may need to advertise next-hop specific parameters (e.g., label per nh).

Yakov: Motivations; load balancing, v4 over v6. There are existing apps
where encoding of NLRI and Next hop are different.
Gargi: If we wanted to load balance across two next hops of different
type, we could not.

iBGP Auto Mesh
              draft-raszuk-idr-ibgp-auto-mesh-00
-----------------------
- motivation: Autodiscover iBGP peers
- flood BGP config via IGP
     bgp autodiscover TLV flooded in IGP
- no change to BGP machinery

Dave Ward: What happens during graceful restart?
Robert: We don't reflood if configuration is not changing
Chen: Does it help much if iBGP congig is not big
How will you carry MD5 key.
Robert: MD5 keys will be same for all speakers.
Chen: How does this work for RR clients
Robert: cluster id on client
Parantap: We do static config. If you miss one, it really bad. We don't need
this. We don't encourage you to touch ISIS.

Signalling tunneling Encaps
---------------------------
               draft-raggarwa-ppvpn-tunnel-encap-sig-01

- Mechanism for signaling PE tunnel encap capabilities.

- Motivations:

 o Blackhole Avoidance
 o Co-existing MPLS & IP encap

-BGP Tunnel Capability SAFI
-LDP Tunnel Encap Capabilities (may not be necessary per BGP)IANA
Considerations

Alex: The BGP specific part needs to belong in IDR

Dave: You will work together with Gargi
Rahul: Yes

Ronald P. Bonica       Ph: 703 886 1681
vBNS Engineering       page: 1 888 268 8021
Ashburn, Va.
"If a man marches out of step with his
fellows it may be that he hears the sound
of a different drummer or, perhaps that
he has a poor sense of rhythm."
            -- Henry David Thoreau