Re: [Idr] draft-walton-bgp-route-oscillation-stop as an IDR WG document

Uli Bornhauser <ub@cs.uni-bonn.de> Tue, 11 May 2010 08:39 UTC

From: Uli Bornhauser <ub@cs.uni-bonn.de>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 10:38:50 +0200
To: Inter-Domain Routing List <idr@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Idr] draft-walton-bgp-route-oscillation-stop as an IDR WG document

Hi Daniel, other authors, all,

one comment, more precisely a question: What about potential problems the "BGP Persistent Route Oscillation Solutions" may cause? For example, if I did not miss an important aspect, the concept may cause situations where BGP speakers cannot choose a unique best path any more:

           clusterI|clusterII
p1->  |----|       |
------| C1 |       |
      |----|       |
            \ 1    |
            |----| |1  |----|
            | R1 |-----| R2 |
            / 1    |

C1 and C2 both provide their best path (externally learned via different ASs, same LOCAL_PREF, AS_PATH length, etc.) to R1. R1 in turn advertises these paths (p1 and p2) to R2 according to your draft. As both paths are learned via the same session, the common BGP tie breaker process does not work at this point: Even after executing step g) [1], both paths are still in the decision process. Obviously, randomly choosing one path does not work, too. Is there a simple solution for this problem (I missed it in the draft)? I think either a modification of the selection process or new attributes are needed (which seem to be in conflict with the statement that only minor changes are needed at the most BGP speakers, cf. 5. Deployment Considerations). If I did not miss a point, this observation leads to the following question whether advertising "all Paths" / "Group Best Paths" may cause other, not that obvious problems.

Thanks in advance for the clarification and

Best Regards

Uli

[1] RFC4271 - http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc4271