Re: Last Call: Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled Applications to Proposed Standard

Jeff.Hodges@stanford.edu Thu, 25 December 1997 00:49 UTC

Delivery-Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 19:49:24 -0500
Subject: Re: Last Call: Naming Plan for Internet Directory-Enabled Applications to Proposed Standard
To: iesg@ns.ietf.org
cc: ietf-ids@umich.edu
From: Jeff.Hodges@stanford.edu
Date: Wed, 24 Dec 1997 16:49:15 -0800
Sender: hodges@Breakaway.Stanford.EDU

I don't feel that draft-ietf-ids-dirnaming-03.txt should presently go forward
on the standards track because, as it is presently written, the requirements
section (sec 3.0) is vague and not thoroughly presented -- thus the problem
space definition is fuzzy. Additionally, dirnaming-03.txt presents a specific
solution to the problem space, built on top of the fuzzy requirements
analysis. My understanding of the IESG's stated position is that we must have
well-defined requirements before we can devise reasonable solutions,
especially in complex, subtle, and far-reaching problem spaces, such as
directories.

I believe that the we need to agree on the requirements before moving forwards
on implementations (i.e. specific plans). A DN requirements document
(draft-hodges-ldap-dir-dn-reqs-00.txt) is being currently discussed on the
LDAP Service Deployment distribution list <IETF-LSD@LISTSERV.UMU.SE> and will
be added to the LSD charter.

It seems to me that when the IESG has accepted that or another requirements
document, then it's appropriate for drafts describing specific naming plans
based upon those requirements to go forward. Until then, I feel the dirnaming
draft is premature and unlikely to meet the our long-term needs.

thanks,

Jeff