Re: [Ieprep] Re: draft-ietf-ieprep-requirements-01

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Thu, 31 October 2002 19:06 UTC

Date: Thu, 31 Oct 2002 13:06:35 -0600
To: Bill Woodcock <woody@pch.net>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Re: draft-ietf-ieprep-requirements-01
Cc: ieprep@ietf.org
Sender: ieprep-admin@ietf.org

The IEPREP Charter (paragraph #1):

"Effective telecommunications capabilities are imperative to facilitate
immediate recovery operations for serious disaster events, such as,
hurricanes, floods,
earthquakes, and terrorist attacks. Disasters can happen any time, any
place, unexpectedly. Quick response for recovery operations requires
immediate access
to any public telecommunications capabilities at hand. These capabilities
include: conventional telephone, cellular phones, and Internet access via
online
terminals, IP telephones, and wireless PDAs. The commercial
telecommunications infrastructure is rapidly evolving to Internet-based
technology. Therefore,
the Internet community needs to consider how it can best support emergency
management and recovery operations.

Three examples of emergency communications include:

1. Conveying information about the priority of specific phone calls that
originate in a VoIP environment through gateways to the PSTN. "

Bill - this charter seems to describe networks *other* than yours (because
of your choice of interconnectivity issues); therefore I believe your
discussion is out of scope for this list until *you* can change the charter
to *not* state IEPREP directly involves the commercial telecommunications
industry (which means at least also interconnectivity to the PSTN/GSTN/CSN).

I have my own issues with the ID, but clearly don't want to hear your
ranting BS that doesn't apply to the charter (which the Reqs ID here
attempts to do).

BTW - this seems like a very good time for *you* to write an ID about the
issues and requirements involving Topology "End-to-End IP" from:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-polk-ieprep-scenarios-01.txt
THE purpose for that ID is to bring overlapping and unique discussions
regarding the similarities and differences surrounding each of the 4 basic
Topologies. I have read through ~10 emails that you (and maybe Ran) want
your Topology to be overlapping in nature (therefore everything changed)
with respect to the other 3 Topologies - yet your unclear reasoning seems
to point to your uniqueness relative to the other Topologies.

One problem I see with you doing this is your intent on *not* connecting to
IEPREP/ETS/GETS/GTPS services of any kind (so why are you commenting at all
to this discussion that will not involve you or your network?).

Send text or write your own ID -- you seem to feel quite strongly about this.

nuff said (in your equally brash manner)!

cheers,
James