[Ieprep] RE: draft-polk-ieprep-scenarios-00.txt

"King, Kimberly S." <KIMBERLY.S.KING@saic.com> Fri, 20 September 2002 19:29 UTC

From: "King, Kimberly S." <KIMBERLY.S.KING@saic.com>
To: "'James M. Polk'" <jmpolk@cisco.com>, "King, Kimberly S." <KIMBERLY.S.KING@saic.com>
Cc: "Ieprep (E-mail)" <ieprep@ietf.org>
Subject: [Ieprep] RE: draft-polk-ieprep-scenarios-00.txt
Sender: ieprep-admin@ietf.org
Date: Fri, 20 Sep 2002 15:23:50 -0400

James,

There are so many issues here.  Just a sample...

> >If a customer has a POTS phone connected to a LEC's
> >gateway into a LEC IP network, is this IP at the start?
>
> Clearly this would either be Top A or C, as it would start
> CSN-based, then
> GW into IP. Whether or not it GWs back to CSN or not
> determines Top A or C

Let's say it is Top C.  You say in Topology C, "Authentication/Authorization
in topology C should occur within the CSN on
the originating side of the call path. "

Where between a customers POTS phone and a LEC's gateway will the
authentication/authorization occur?

There are a whole host of issues but the main point is this topology draft
seems to want to design an implementation.  Perhaps others have different
views but the authorization stuff, implicit statements about requirements,
and requirements on the CSN seem a bit much for a topology draft.

Kimberly