Re: [Ieprep] Comment for WG Last Call on draft-ietf-ieprep-sip-reqs-01.txt

Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu> Wed, 06 November 2002 22:00 UTC

Date: Wed, 06 Nov 2002 17:02:03 -0500
From: Henning Schulzrinne <hgs@cs.columbia.edu>
To: Ottensmeyer Joerg <joerg.ottensmeyer@siemens.com>
CC: "Ieprep (E-mail)" <ieprep@ietf.org>
Subject: Re: [Ieprep] Comment for WG Last Call on draft-ietf-ieprep-sip-reqs-01.txt
Sender: ieprep-admin@ietf.org

Since charter discussions seem all the rage these days, it might be
worth noting that we have, I believe, several times reached the
conclusion that 911/112-style calls are out of scope. However, I've been
working on this very topic for a while. You can find a detailed
description of the issues in the draft draft-schulzrinne-sipping-sos-02
and draft-ietf-sip-emergency-00. (If they are expired, you can find them
at http://www.cs.columbia.edu/sip/drafts/).

We have been building a system locally that solves the first of the
problem you list below. The second and third appear to be operational
ones that does not seem to require any additional protocol capabilities.
With the *sos* draft, a proxy can detect that the call is destined for a
PSAP and thus modify normal AAA procedures and elevate call priority
should local operating procedures call for that.

A number of BOFs have been held under the auspices of the SIP(PING)
working group, but not enough people seem to care about this topic, so
it seems to always be displaced by more urgent things like ISUP
interworking :-)

I'll be glad to get into more details, but my interpretation is that at
least the first two issues are considered out of scope of IEPREP.