RE: [Ieprep] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt

"Steve Silverman" <steves@shentel.net> Thu, 29 January 2004 17:45 UTC

From: Steve Silverman <steves@shentel.net>
To: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>, ieprep@ietf.org
Subject: RE: [Ieprep] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt
Date: Thu, 29 Jan 2004 11:33:56 -0500
Sender: ieprep-admin@ietf.org

If the offered load exceeds the network capacity, some packets will be
dropped.  If a line is at
95% of capacity, a 10% surge would cause 5% of the packets to be
dropped, degrading most of the conversations.  ( I am simplifying here
but I think this is clear.)

The benefit of multiple DSCPs is that the sessions designated most
critical are unaffected. Actual experiment has shown that this does
work.

In draft-baker-tsvwg-mlpp-that-works.00 it is assumed that the CAC
will ensure that voice is not overloaded.
Two problems with this are:

	1)  If silence suppression is used and the bandwidth "oversubscribed"
(standard practice) then sometimes, more people on one end will talk
and cause congestion.

	2)  If the area controlled by the CAC is large, propagation delay
will limit the reaction time of the system and the computation to
oversee the entire theatre may also be a limiting factor.  This may
cause short congestion incidents (several seconds long) which could be
mitigated by MLEF.  I'm not saying you don't also need the CAC.  I'm
saying
you need something local and fast reacting (at the packet level rather
than the call level) to ensure that the high priority packets get
thru.

Steve Silverman