Re: CAC RE: [Ieprep] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt

"James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com> Mon, 02 February 2004 23:03 UTC

Date: Mon, 02 Feb 2004 16:57:51 -0600
To: Janet P Gunn <jgunn6@csc.com>
From: "James M. Polk" <jmpolk@cisco.com>
Subject: Re: CAC RE: [Ieprep] I-D ACTION:draft-ietf-ieprep-domain-req-00.txt
Cc: Fred Baker <fred@cisco.com>, ieprep@ietf.org, Steve Silverman <steves@shentel.net>
Sender: ieprep-admin@ietf.org

Janet

My comparison in the quotes was a poor attempt at what occurs within MLPP
Switches today (preemption tone or an announcement), and from an IP POV -
the tone behavior is doable with my recent ID into SIPPING (Reason Header
for Preemption), but the latter (the announcement) isn't doable to inform a
user with words about which router was the culprit in not letting a call
get through or the preemptor of a call.

The GSCR clearly call out these two behaviors, and they are probably
appropriate for TDM networks, but IMO are not for IP networks where the
congestion event happened at a router - but this distinction isn't made in
the GSCR, both behaviors are still mandated (and I don't know how we're
going to accomplish the announcement regarding a specific identifiable
router causing a call to fail on purpose).

If this is an "IP at the Start" scenario, and the congestion event occurs
within the TDM infrastructure, then I believe that announcement or tone
MUST be communicated back to the IP phone and user on that call to inform
them of what they get today

I know this is (slightly) off topic for this list

cheers,
James