[Ietf-62] Re: Network Requirements and Equipment

Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com> Tue, 08 February 2005 10:13 UTC

From: Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com>
Date: Tue, 08 Feb 2005 11:09:02 +0100
To: IETF 62 Network List <ietf-62@ietf.org>
Subject: [Ietf-62] Re: Network Requirements and Equipment
Sender: ietf-62-bounces@ietf.org

Dennis,
	Again, thanks for the advance work.... Comments inline below...

On Feb 6, 2005, at 12:49 AM, Dennis Fazio wrote:

> --On February 5, 2005 05:12:42 PM +0100 Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com>
> wrote:
>
> [...]
>> streaming from each of the breakout rooms, we'll need an additional
>> ethernet In addition to what we need for the APs.
>
> There should be two ethernet drops in each of the rooms, one for WiFi,
> one for wired unicast audio. We will be heading to the Hilton
> Wednesday (9th) to verify wiring and jack locations in each room.

	Great. Could you also verify a few other things while you're there?
	- What do we have running down from the roof to the 3th floor cloak
closet? I seem to remember two pair of Cat5, but I'm not positive. If
it's fiber, what is it terminated with?
	- What do we have running up from the demarc room in the car park? I
honestly don't remember if this is fiber or copper. Also, does it
terminate on the 3rd floor closet? And, as always, if fiber, what does
it terminate in?
	- I'm assuming the gig from Onvoy will be delivered in that demarc
room in the car park. Do we know what type of connector they're
delivering on? Last time we had to scramble for the cable. What gig
standard are they going to be using? ZX-IR or LR?

>> 	We have the bar and lobby area on the ground floor, 5 rooms (6 if you
>> count the NOC) on the 2nd floor, and the usual Grand Ballroom split
>> into up
>> to 7 Salons with airwalls (ugh!), plus the perimeter rooms (Directors
>> Row
>> 1-4, and Board Room 1-3, as well as Duluth and Rochester) on the 3rd
>> floor.
>
> It wasn't clear from Marcia's chart that we needed access in
> Director's Row 1-4 and the Board rooms. I don't think we included them
> in our Access Point estimate. Will there be events in those rooms that
> require coverage?

	I'll let Marcia answer that conclusively, but often these are offices
and such that people would appreciate the wireless, but don't demand
it.

>> We also have the Ramsey room, which I can't seem to find on the
>> floorplans,
>> but I'd expect it to be on the 3rd floor (anyone know for sure?).
>
> Ramsey is the room marked "Retail" adjacent to the Carver room on the
> second floor.

	Ah, thank you!

>> several Onvoy upstreams as well as UMN. ChrisL has arranged a pair of
>> Junipers from Lenny, and Dave has a "pile of Cat 3750's" (20-30) from
>> UMN
>> that we can use.
>
> Dave was of the opinion that we could use the 3750s as access routers
> and the Junipers would not be needed, so we should settle on what our
> preferences are for that.

	Right, this is exactly the discussion I wanted to get to. I'm hesitant
to use the 3750s as our sole source of routing for several reasons. The
biggest one is probably their limited ability to handle encaps/decaps
duty. This means that if we need to bring up a tunnel to anywhere, for
any purpose, we're SOL. It also means that they'll be more limited as
to being able to act as a PIM RP, since this also involves a bunch of
encaps/decaps (think register packets). While we're not doing /tons/ of
multicast, we might as well build something solid :-) Also, the v6 code
for the 3750 was just released something like 10 days ago ... it seems
to work, but I not sure I want to bet the IETF on it :-) Finally, we
really like to keep full BGP tables, so we can do optimal egress
routing (which makes even more sense with lots of upstream peers, like
we have this time). I've not tried this on a 3750, but I'd be worried
about memory and CPU utilization.

	So, that all said, I personally feel much better using the Junipers.

	How's this for a proposed design. We place one M10 in the roof room,
one in the car park. The roof one gets the wireless external (if that
works out) and the car park gets the external Gig. We then place a pair
of stacked 3750s in the 3rd floor cloak room (which I'll call the core
switches). We run two pair from each of the M10s to the stack,
terminating one in each physical switch, using 802.3ad link
aggregation.  That way, we can't go down due to any one single failure.
If we want to be paranoid, we can dual attach any fanout switches back
to both core switches, and do 802.3ad (or cisco EtherChannel) to ensure
that even the edge stays up in a single failure.

	From a routing perspective, we could ether drag all the vlans out to
the Junipers, and do the usual VRRP trick, or we could use the Junipers
solely as external routers and have the 3750's do all our internal
routing.  I'd kinda like to do the latter, but I'm open to other
thoughts on the matter!

	What do you guys think?

	- Jim