[Ietf-62] Network Requirements and Equipment

Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com> Mon, 07 February 2005 14:47 UTC

To: IETF 62 Network List <ietf-62@ietf.org>
From: Jim Martin <jim@daedelus.com>
Date: Sat, 05 Feb 2005 17:12:42 +0100
Cc: Chris Liljenstolpe <chris@liljenstolpe.org>, bill.jensen@doit.wisc.edu, Chris Elliott <chelliot@cisco.com>, Geoff Horne <horne@infoblox.com>, rob nagy <rnagy@infoblox.com>, fritchie@snookles.com, Chris Stradtman <chris@sysnetinc.com>
Subject: [Ietf-62] Network Requirements and Equipment
Sender: ietf-62-bounces@ietf.org

Gentlepeople,
	We've got two major issues to discuss, which interrelate pretty
heavily. The first is the design, wide-area, building LAN, and wireless
for IETF62, and the second is the status of gear to deliver that net.
Before I begin, let me apologize in advance for repeating things that
have been said in other messages. I'm not sure everyone has seen all of
them, and I want us all on the same page. That said, the design that
was mentioned in Dennis's mail of a few days ago has some notable
differences from the way we've done things in the past, and I wanted to
get discussion with the whole group to come to a (semi-) final design.
In case anyone wasn't  copied on that mail, Dennis said:

> 2. Internet access
>
> Onvoy has placed an order for the dark fiber to the Hilton to
> terminate in their Minneapolis PoP in a gigabit ethernet port. From
> there, vLANs will be routed to get traffic to their 2-3 upstream
> backbones, and over a direct link to the University for Internet2
> cross-connect. Delivery is on schedule for the first couple of days in
> March.
>
> For a backup link, we would like to put in a wireless broadband link
> to the University for connection to its upstream national providers.
> We are seeking equipment from Alcatel, via Chris Liljenstolpe, and
> from Cisco, via Dave Farmer and the University Cisco rep. We hope to
> hear within a few days. If that does not pan out, we will have to
> install one or two T1 links.
>
> 3. Wired net
>
> The University will supply whatever number of Cisco 3750
> switch/routers we need to build the wired network. We will terminate
> the dark fiber and the wireless link in this equipment, one in the
> basement telecom room, one on the roof. GigE links will be brought
> down to the 3rd floor and distribution to the meeting rooms and base
> stations will be done from there. Switches will also be placed in the
> terminal room to supply the wired drops, printers and handful of
> supplied laptops there.
>
> IPv6 routing will be done with a pair of Cisco 2900 units that the
> University will also supply, one for the Onvoy dark fiber path, one
> for the University wireless path.
>
> There should be no need for any additional routers or switches from
> other sources.

	Before we delve too deeply into design, let's talk about requirements.
The main thing that has changed this time around is that we'll not need
to be sourcing lots of multicast from the net, being that Joel and Lucy
have moved to sending out unicast audio streams back to UO for
rebroadcast [If that's not correct, please let me know!]. We need v6
and v4 connectivity, at at least 20M for the aggregate of the wired and
wireless network. Multicast SHOULD be available, but isn't absolutely
required.  We expect no more than 2000 attendees (alas, likely much
lower).  Due to the audio streaming from each of the breakout rooms,
we'll need an additional ethernet In addition to what we need for the
APs.

	We have the bar and lobby area on the ground floor, 5 rooms (6 if you
count the NOC) on the 2nd floor, and the usual Grand Ballroom split
into up to 7 Salons with airwalls (ugh!), plus the perimeter rooms
(Directors Row 1-4, and Board Room 1-3, as well as Duluth and
Rochester) on the 3rd floor.  We also have the Ramsey room, which I
can't seem to find on the floorplans, but I'd expect it to be on the
3rd floor (anyone know for sure?). We /DO NOT/ have the Conrad rooms at
all this time around. As last time, the NOC is in Symphony and the
Terminal Room extends from Marquette through Hennepin.  Floor plans and
details can be found at
http://www.hilton.com/en/hi/hotels/floorplans.jhtml?ctyhocn=MSPMHHH and
I've attached Marcia's Meeting Room Times spreadsheet for anyone who
needs details. Dennis also mentioned the possibility of covering the
28th floor lounge, which seems like a good, but not critical, thing to
do.

	As I understand it,  that's the entirety of the area being covered. No
off-site connections are needed. If anyone knows any differently,
please speak up!

	Ok, now what toys do we have to play with? Dennis has kindly arranged
a GE link to Onvoy, which we'll be able to vlan out to provide L2 links
to several Onvoy upstreams as well as UMN. ChrisL has arranged a pair
of Junipers from Lenny, and Dave has a "pile of Cat 3750's" (20-30)
from UMN that we can use. [Dave, can you be more specific on which 3750
models? Do you have SFPs for them?] Geoff and Rob are bringing Infoblox
DNS/DHCP and RADIUS servers, and we have the three little Shuttle
servers (2 with FreeBSD and one with XP) for random services and
monitoring.

	The two key missing pieces are the APs and a backup path for external.
On the External front, there are requests to Alcatel and Cisco for
wireless bridges for a shot back to UMN. As I understand it, the Acatel
one is a long shot. We'll have to wait on an update from Chris on that,
but he's offline in AU for a week. The Cisco bridge is being pursued by
Dave. Dave, do you have any status? Chelliot, can you assist?

	Now, as for the APs, Chris Elliott is working on getting the "once
lost and now found" 1200s that we were supposed to use for San Diego.
The other possibility is the Airespace stuff, now part of Cisco, but
unless it comes with Airespace expertise, the opinion seems to be that
the 1200s are the way to go. Also, Rob is pursuing another wireless
vendor (who I'm happy to discuss privately with anyone who's
interested), but the deal there is that we'd only take their stuff if
they provided significant onsite and engineering support. Of all of
these, the 1200s seem most likely.... Chelliot, any update from your
side?

	Ok, that's a long enough message for now. Once people chime in with
details and status of the pieces, we can move on to design.

	Thanks guys!

	- Jim