Question about MDN-request

Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com> Wed, 13 September 2000 14:35 UTC

Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2000 15:20:53 +0100
To: ietf-822@imc.org
From: Graham Klyne <GK@dial.pipex.com>
Subject: Question about MDN-request
Sender: owner-ietf-822@mail.imc.org

 From RFC 2298:

      Disposition-Notification-Options =
           "Disposition-Notification-Options" ":"
           disposition-notification-parameters

      disposition-notification-parameters = parameter *(";" parameter)

      parameter = attribute "=" importance "," 1#value

      importance = "required" / "optional"

This syntax indicates that at least one parameter value is required?  I am
considering a situation in which there is no meaningful value to attach to
a disposition notification option, as the option itself simply acts as a
flag to trigger some behaviour;  e.g. what I want to say is:

      Disposition-Notification-Options:
          Alternative-available=optional

Does anyone here know if the _requirement_ for a parameter value was a
considered judgement or an oversight?  I don't have a meaningful value to
include here.

(For more background to this question, see
<draft-ietf-fax-content-negotiation-02.txt>, section 5.1.)

#g

Graham Klyne
(GK@ACM.ORG)