Protocol Action: IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture to Proposed Standard

The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> Fri, 07 March 2003 00:18 UTC

To: IETF-Announce:;
Cc: RFC Editor <rfc-editor@isi.edu>, Internet Architecture Board <iab@iab.org>, ipng@sunroof.eng.sun.com
From: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
Subject: Protocol Action: IP Version 6 Addressing Architecture to Proposed Standard
Date: Thu, 06 Mar 2003 19:08:24 -0500
Sender: owner-ietf-announce@ietf.org

The IESG has approved the Internet-Draft 'IP Version 6 Addressing
Architecture' <draft-ietf-ipngwg-addr-arch-v3-11.txt> as a Proposed
Standard.  This document is the product of the IP Version 6 Working
Group.  The IESG contact persons are Thomas Narten and Erik Nordmark.

Technical Summary

This specification defines the addressing architecture of the IP
Version 6 protocol (RFC 2460). The document includes the IPv6
addressing model, text representations of IPv6 addresses, definition
of IPv6 unicast addresses, anycast addresses, and multicast addresses,
and an IPv6 node's required addresses.

Working Group Summary

This document was approved by the IESG as a Draft Standard in October,
2002. Subsequently, an appeal was filed regarding the IESG decision,
and the IAB issued a response in which it annulled the IESG approval
for Draft Standard. The IAB response included the following:

        We recommend to the IESG that the current version of the I-D
	  draft be published as a Proposed Standard.

That is what this protocol action does.

The working group supported the recomendation to publish the current
document as a Proposed Standard.

Protocol Quality

This document has been reviewed for the IESG by Thomas Narten.