IESG Response to Official notice of appeal on suspension rights.

The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org> Wed, 24 September 2003 14:38 UTC

From: The IESG <iesg-secretary@ietf.org>
To: Todd Glassey <todd.glassey@worldnet.att.net>
Cc: Jorge.Contreras@haledorr.com, ipr-wg@ietf.org, IETF-Announce:;
Subject: IESG Response to Official notice of appeal on suspension rights.
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2003 09:54:51 -0400
Sender: owner-ietf-announce@ietf.org

     The IESG has reviewed the appeal by Todd Glassey on the
     suspension of his posting rights to the IPR-WG mailing list
     by Harald Alverstrand, AD for the IPR Working Group.

 The appeal consists of three parts. The text is verbatim from Todd's
 appeal (see http://www.ietf.org/IESG/APPEALS/todd-glassey-appeal.txt),
 with labels A/, B/ and C/ added for later reference:

 A/With regard to my posting 20% of the list's traffic, the 2418 clause
     that calls this a Denial of Service Attack is in fact a smoke screen to
     allow the IETF to set limits on how many postings any one person can make,
     but only in arbitrary matters, clearly causing a tortuous interference with
     my participation since issues are being resolved that I cannot participate
     in. And unless the IESG or the IETF is going to formally place a specific
     limit on the number of responses that one can submit to postings, then this
     matter is clearly an act of prejudicial harassment of the IETF Chair and the
     WG Chairs to suppress that the IPR group is essentially not in my opinion
     fixing problems but rather making the process and the disclosure issues more
     painful.

 B/Further, the Chair commented that I had "Threatened legal action" against
     several list members, and I would like to see specific evidence to this
     "fact" as it was used, since I clearly deny that this is true. Please
     produce the specific commentary and explain how it was threatening. What I
     have asked several officers of the IETF and the IESG is whether there is
     financial coverage for them in operating the organization as any good entity
     would have. They have refused to answer this in any way. I have also voiced
     an opinion that the IETF's policies are bringing it head-on into areas where
     legal action will not be avoidable but I have not said specifically that I
     would sue anyone. I don't make silly threats, I act upon the causative
     actions in appropriate manners only.

 C/Finally the commentary that "I have been warned" repeatedly by the WG Chairs
     to not post off topic mailings is ridiculous and contrary to the IETF's
     charter and operating process, and it must formally take notice of this or
     face the problems that this refusal to accept the obvious brings. By their
     very nature, the IETF WG' Lists MUST accept all postings or it is impossible
     to disclose new ideas on the list, making the process of submitting an I-D
     ***the only way that new ideas can be submitted*** or can be vetted and for
     WG Chairs to suppress is contrary to the IETF's operational models (no
     matter how hokey they are) as defined in RFC2026, RFC2223, and RFC2418.

 The answer to each part is as follows:

 A/Todd is questioning the validity and fairness of RFC 2418. However, that
     RFC has a status of BCP and it describes "IETF Working Group Guidelines
     and Procedures". This document was explicitly created by the IETF to
     provide clear documentation of our current WG Guidelines and Procedures.
     The fact that it is a BCP means that the document went through the formal
     IETF review and approval process (including IETF Last Call), and so that
     means that it has IETF consensus. The ADs and WG chairs are required to
     follow those guidelines and procedures.
     If Todd (or anyone) feels that these Guidelines and Procedures need to
     be changed, then the normal IETF process needs to be followed to do so.
     Changes and interpretation cannot be forced via an appeal to the IESG.
     Note also, that RFC 2418 does not explicitly discuss a limit on the
     percentage of email that is allowed by one participant. Instead, it
     gives Guidelines to WG chairs and ADs on how to moderate a WG mailing
     list. The amount of Todd's postings was just one factor in the decision
     to suspend his posting rights. Other factors are in points B/ and C/.

 B/The IESG found at least the following email postings that we consider
     enough evidence of "legal threats to working group members":

     1.on public IPR-WG mailing list:

         http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipr-wg/current/msg01488.html
         http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipr-wg/current/msg01672.html

     2.in emails to individual members (chair(s)):

         see [s3] and [s4] below

     3.in private emails to AD [1] and [2].

 C/Todd is challenging the validness of RFCs 2026, 2223 and 2418.
     These 3 RFCs are all BCP documents, meaning that they have IETF consensus.
     These RFCs document procedures that WG chairs, ADs, and IESG must follow.
     If Todd (or anyone) feels that they need to be changed, then the normal
     IETF process needs to be followed to do so.
     Changes and interpretation cannot be forced via an appeal to the IESG.
     The IESG understands that Todd is not disputing that he has indeed
     been warned multiple times but that he disputes the applicability
     of RFCs 2026, 2223 and 2418 to the IETF WG process.
     Even if Todd is challenging the statement that multiple warnings were
     given, the IESG has found several emails that prove that the warnings
     were indeed given, see [s1], [s2], [s3], and

     http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipr-wg/current/msg01558.html
     http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipr-wg/current/msg01634.html
     http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipr-wg/current/msg01778.html
     http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipr-wg/current/msg01862.html
     http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipr-wg/current/msg01736.html

 In summary, the IESG upholds the decision of the IPR-WG WG chairs
 and the AD for the General Area as announced on August 1st, 2003:
           http://www1.ietf.org/mail-archive/working-groups/ipr-wg/current/msg01894.html

 The IESG

 -------- referenced material -----