Reopening the Call for Nominations: ICANN Root Server System Governance Working Group (GWG)

IAB Executive Administrative Manager <execd@iab.org> Fri, 20 December 2019 17:46 UTC

From: IAB Executive Administrative Manager <execd@iab.org>
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Subject: Reopening the Call for Nominations: ICANN Root Server System Governance Working Group (GWG)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2019 09:46:51 -0800

A month ago, the IAB asked the community for volunteers to serve on the
ICANN Root Server System Governance Working Group (GWG) [1]. The call
expired on December 4 and five excellent experts volunteered. For the
reasons explained below, we would like to reopen the call for volunteers
until January 4 to ensure that we can select the needed two candidates
from the most complete pool.

The GWG is tackling a hard problem, the evolution of the DNS root server
system. The GWG will have to make decisions that gather consensus from a
very diverse set of parties, while  preserving the stability of the
Internet and the globally unique public name space, as spelled out in
RFC 2826. We believe that the success of the GWG depends on nominating a
set of experts with a diversity of technical and business experiences.

The IAB would like to thank all the volunteers so far. They form a
strong candidate pool. However, we believe the diversity of affiliations
and backgrounds in the candidate pool could be improved, so we are re-
opening the call.

Please volunteer, or convince someone that you know to do so.
Nominations should be sent to execd@iab.org.

On behalf of the IAB,
 Cindy Morgan
 IAB Executive Administrative Manager