New Non-WG Mailing List: tm-rid

IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org> Sun, 21 July 2019 15:55 UTC

From: IETF Secretariat <ietf-secretariat@ietf.org>
To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce@ietf.org>
Cc: rgm@labs.htt-consult.com, stu.card@axenterprize.com
Date: Sun, 21 Jul 2019 08:55:26 -0700

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: tm-rid@ietf.org
Archive: https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/tm-rid/

Purpose:
To mitigate the risks presented by Unmanned Aircraft Systems (UAS), the
US FAA and other government agencies internationally soon will require,
and various bodies are drafting standards for, remote identification.
ASTM's proposed Broadcast Remote ID specifies how Unmanned Aircraft (UA)
within Line Of Sight (LOS) of an observer can use a one-way RF broadcast
to identify themselves and provide other latency-sensitive
safety-critical information. ASTM's proposed Network Remote ID specifies
how this same information can be obtained, starting from an observed
UA's location, via the Internet. All such proposals hinge on a unique ID
for each UA, a method whereby this ID (along with operator contact
information etc.) can be registered, and a method by which a subsequent
ID assertion can be authenticated by authorized parties.

Network RemoteID uses the Internet to map current aircraft locations to
identities. To avoid being deceived by malicious spoofing of these
critical mappings, we need strong authentication. To maintain privacy
(from unauthorized eavesdroppers, not from legitimate authorities), we
need strong encryption. HIP provides both of these. Thus, we propose to
consolidate the 4-tuple of (UA ID, UA physical location, UA onboard host
ID, UA onboard host logical location [IP address list]) to a 3-tuple by
standardizing the HIP Host Identity Tag (HIT) as a 4^th RemoteID type.
Depending upon the level of adoption by a given UAS operator, this can
provide  3 levels of benefit:

1.
Use of the Internet Domain Name System (DNS, the world’s largest
distributed database, with well-established update procedures) as a
RemoteID registry

2.
Strong authentication of not only Network RemoteID but also
Broadcast RemoteID messages

3.
Rapid establishment of authenticated and encrypted communications
with any observed UA that is suitably equipped.

This list belong IETF area: INT

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.