Re: [ietf-dkim] RFC 4686 on Analysis of Threats Motivating DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)

Damon <deepvoice@gmail.com> Wed, 27 September 2006 17:52 UTC

Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 13:41:05 -0400
From: Damon <deepvoice@gmail.com>
To: Stephen Farrell <stephen.farrell@cs.tcd.ie>
Subject: Re: [ietf-dkim] RFC 4686 on Analysis of Threats Motivating DomainKeys Identified Mail (DKIM)
Cc: ietf-dkim@mipassoc.org
Sender: ietf-dkim-bounces@mipassoc.org

All the threat listed in the document require some sophistication on
the part of the spammer. Would this mean the end of the "basement"
spammer if widely deployed? I also see (not listed in the document) a
long deployment time a threat. Notice that spammers were the first to
jump on the SPF band-wagon and made their domains SPF compliant. Some
people pointed to this as an SPF failure and asked themselves what the
point was to deploy it. This caused the "garage" spammer to live on.
Hopefully this document does not raise the question "What is the point
of deployment?" but is used, in part, to show the hoops that spammers
will have to jump through. Any time you make it more difficult (and
therefore more costly) for a spammer to spam, you start to thin out
the players.
Just food for thought.

Regards,
Damon Sauer