Re: [ietf-privacy] Privacy Considerations Document

Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org> Wed, 23 March 2011 18:09 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org>
To: "Tschofenig, Hannes (NSN - FI/Espoo)" <hannes.tschofenig@nsn.com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 18:10:37 +0000
Cc: ietf-privacy@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-privacy] Privacy Considerations Document

I did a brief review of this document up to section 4.

=== General comments ===

To accomplish this document's two stated goals -- to make protocol
designers aware of privacy-related design choices and to offer
guidance for developing privacy considerations for IETF documents -- I
would suggest re-thinking the approach somewhat. As it stands, the
document does not contain a concise statement of what it means to
protect or enhance privacy. The threat model discussion gives some
examples, but it strikes me that if this document wants to say to
protocol designers, "privacy matters and here's how to design/document
the privacy impact of your protocol," then it needs to say a little
bit about what concept of "privacy" it assumes.

On the other hand, I don't think throwing the kitchen sink of privacy
definitions/concepts in there will help. The appendix aptly
demonstrates this.

Rather, my suggestion would be to articulate a few simple categories
of privacy interests that individuals have and that IETF protocols may
implicate. Stealing a few words from draft-morris-policy-cons-00, I
think there are two types of privacy with which to concern ourselves:

-- Communications privacy: the right of individuals to control access
to their communications
-- Information privacy: the right of individuals to control
information about themselves

And three types of relevant adversaries:

-- Commercial
-- Individual
-- Governmental

One of the key differences between communications privacy and
information privacy has to do with identifiability -- interception of
communications can violate a person's privacy whether or not the
person is identified or identifiable.

The type of adversary may not matter from a protocol standpoint, but I
think it's helpful to conceptualize the threats at the outset, e.g.,
governments can infringe communications privacy by wiretapping,
commercial entities can infringe information privacy by selling my
data to the highest bidder, an individual can infringe my information
privacy by accessing my presence or location information without my
knowledge, etc.

I think the document needs some simple frame like this to explain what
the threats/risks are.

The communications/information privacy breakdown also raises the
question of whether this document needs to address communications
privacy, or whether the existing norm that we have of documenting
threats to confidentiality and their mitigations in the security
considerations section of most RFCs is sufficient or nearly so.

=== 1. Introduction ===

I'm not sure that most of the text here is serving its purpose. I
don't think the three schools of thought really reflect reality, but
even if they do, I don't think it's necessary to address the two
narrow-minded views. Some aspects of privacy can be addressed by
protocol designers, others can only be addressed through policy, and
the two need to work together to provide meaningful protection. I
don't think much more than that needs to be said.

=== 2. Scope ===

Again here, there seems to be a simple basic point, which is that
privacy can be and need be only addressed within the scope of the
protocol being developed.  I'm not sure a whole lot more than that
needs to be said, and it's unclear how the classification of IETF
document types fits in (the section is almost set up as if it's going
to say that some document types require privacy considerations while
others don't, but then it never says that).

=== 3. Threat Model ===

If the communications/information privacy split were to be used, then
I think you could break down the threats according to which kind of
privacy they have the potential to violate: eavesdroppers and
intermediaries primarily affect communications privacy, whereas
recipients (and I might also add "other recipients" or some other
category to cover entities/individuals that obtain data from intended
recipients) primarily affect information privacy.

In addition to notice, choice, and consent, I would add the full suite
of fair information practices (limiting use, providing access, etc.)
to the list of responsibilities for the recipient.

=== 4. Guidelines ===

Note that the questions in this section were originally developed
solely in response to information privacy concerns. I need to think
about these more -- they don't really seem to make much sense in the
context of guidance for protocol designers as is, so maybe some
further development or combination with some of the privacy questions
from draft-morris-policy-cons-00 would make more sense.

Alissa