Re: [ietf-privacy] 答复: RE: anonymity definition in"draft-hansen-privacy-terminology-03"

Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net> Thu, 09 February 2012 08:53 UTC

From: Hannes Tschofenig <hannes.tschofenig@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 09 Feb 2012 10:53:01 +0200
To: zhou.sujing@zte.com.cn
Cc: ietf-privacy@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-privacy] 答复: RE: anonymity definition in"draft-hansen-privacy-terminology-03"

Hi Zhou,

I sort of assumed that you were the co-author of the mentioned draft without actually looking at it. Sorry, my mistake.

Anyway, I believe that anonymity isn't the right term for that document when the privacy threat is focused on the HIP responder getting to know the host identities. The HIP responder receives the HITs in the exchange.

The only form of protection the document seems to provide is the usage of pseudonyms. A HI itself is already a pseudonym (based on the definition of a pseudonym in the document) and the main question here is about linkability and about the lifetime of these pseudonyms. We could, for example, regularly re-compute a new HI and use it. This may be computationally more expensive but would provide some level of protection. The problem only shows up in relationship to other usages of the HI, for example, for access control. In the draft this blinded HIT is used that is essentially derived from the original HiT (and consequently from the HI). An attacker may not able to learn the original HIT (or HI) but may still be able to make the individual protocol runs linkable to each other. Note that this mechanism has often been provided by other protocols as well (see all the network access authentication protocols).

Btw, where did you got this anonymity definition from that you cite below? I don't think it is particularly good. Imagine that you have a VoIP service offering that only has two users, you and me. If an adversary eavesdrops on the communication it may not find out whether it is you or me (without using further information) but that's a pretty bad privacy protection. Instead, it would be much better if the anonymity set is much larger.

Ciao
Hannes

PS: It may turn out to be useful to add another term to the document to express the common property of hiding the identity of the initiator to eavesdroppers, such as "initiator identity confidentiality".