Re: [ietf-privacy] [Int-area] Privacy thoughts re draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis

Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org> Thu, 08 December 2011 16:43 UTC

From: Alissa Cooper <acooper@cdt.org>
Date: Thu, 08 Dec 2011 16:43:00 +0000
To: SM <sm@resistor.net>
Cc: ietf-privacy@ietf.org
Subject: Re: [ietf-privacy] [Int-area] Privacy thoughts re draft-boucadair-intarea-nat-reveal-analysis

Hi SM,

Copied my original message below for those on ietf-privacy who are not also subscribed to int-area.

On Dec 8, 2011, at 2:03 PM, SM wrote:

> Hi Alissa,
> At 04:10 08-12-2011, Alissa Cooper wrote:
>> Along these lines, in the sections below I've either suggested new text entirely (1.2) or inserted notes/questions in brackets where I think more text would be helpful.
>
> I am commenting on the privacy angle.
>
>> While many individual users are unaware of and uninvolved in decisions about whether their unique IPv4 addresses get revealed when they send data via IP, some users realize privacy benefits associated with IP address sharing, and some may even take steps to ensure that NAT functionality sits between them and the public Internet. IP address sharing makes the actions of all users behind the NAT function unattributable to any single host, creating room for abuse but also providing some identity protection for non-abusive users who wish to transmit data with reduced risk of being uniquely identified.
>
> The above text infers that there are privacy benefits associated with IP address sharing.  That is somewhat like arguing that NAT provides security; it's an argument that has been going around for years.

If an abusive user can hide his the traceability of his behavior by sitting behind a NAT (which, as far as I can tell, is a major part of the motivation for draft-boucadair-nat-reveal-analysis), I don't see how one could argue that NAT does not provide any privacy protection. No matter how old the argument is, it is clearly worth stating in this document.

> The text uses terms in common use in non-technical literature, e.g. (user) identity protection.  A device identifier such as an IPv4 address is necessary for two endpoints to engage in IPv4 communication.  The question of whether the device is tied to a user is out of scope.  The term "identity protection" in the above text makes it in scope.  It's a path that can cause problems for future work.  I suggest rephrasing the above in terms of identifiers instead of (user) identity.

Feel free to suggest changes to the authors, I was just throwing out some hastily prepared starting points.

Best,
Alissa