Re: More new text for 2821bis

Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com> Wed, 09 July 2008 12:04 UTC

Date: Wed, 09 Jul 2008 08:04:11 -0400
From: Keith Moore <moore@network-heretics.com>
To: John C Klensin <john+smtp@jck.com>
CC: ietf-smtp@imc.org
Subject: Re: More new text for 2821bis
Sender: owner-ietf-smtp@mail.imc.org

Adding an IESG note to a standards-track RFC is longstanding practice as
a way for IESG members to "hold their noses" and feel better about
approving a document which they dislike.  Less frequently, it could also
be used as a way to document irreconcilable differences between the
document author/editor/wg and IESG while still letting the document move
forward.  But mostly I think it was a way for IESG members to "feel
better" about approving a document when there was something they didn't
like and they were under pressure (usually from other IESG members) to
approve it anyway.

I think they started using it around the time I was on IESG (1996-2000)
- at least it seemed to become increasingly common during that time).  I
don't know if the practice is documented anywhere - it was (IIRC) an
informal agreement between IESG and the RFC Editor.

Such notes have been useful when there were important technical
considerations that a WG refused to address.  But IMHO they have also
frequently been used for fairly petty concerns, as in this case.

Keith